Thread: Who all tow,s a Jeep !!! :)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by lbriant View Post
    Here is a question, I never towed my other jeep sahara, we only used our toyota camery for our toad, we had to leave the key in it to keep the steering from locking, somtimes if we drove a very long day the battery would go down, I know a simple batt diconect would work,
    but now we are ready to tow our new Rubicon and I found out they dont put steering locks in them anymore because they are towed so much, yet the towing instructions say disconnect the negitive cable and turn the key one notch ?
    I dont understand why you would need to, How do you guys tow yours?
    I towed a 2008 Wrangler Sahara thousands of miles. It had a steering lock, and we had to leave the key on one click and lift the white fuse in the under hood fuse box. Never disconnected anything. Late, I disabled the steering lock and from then on removed the key, put in Neutral, and that's it. No problems.

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Sahara. We just completed a 6 week 6000+ mile trip towing it. No steering lock, never left the key in or pulled a fuse, no problems. Very easy and reliable.
    Last edited by johnbrowder; 10-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

Our 2010 Rubicon came with instructions to leave the key on and unhook the battery. I jacked up the front end and turned the steering lock to lock with the key in my pocket (no steering lock). Have towed over 8000 miles with the battery hooked up and the key in my pocket.

We just got a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. We used it on our way to the Austin POG rally on trails in Sedona, AZ, and in Red River, NM. The vehicle does not have a steering lock, and we leave the ignition off when towing. The 2012 has a new engine & transmission, and we have been averaging over 17MPG.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Yea Steve, we just bought our 2012 rubicon and they claimed 21 hwy but I have only got around 17 or 18,
    But we did get the mickey Thompson Baja tires and MT mags ? had to cut a little out of the plastic under guard on the front so they would not hit,
    I just had the custom plastic installed on the front grill and front of the hood (you cand hardley see it ) my son has it on his car I think it will be really good on keeping rock chips off the front end, I am looking into getting some tear off windshield covers like the race car drivers to save the windshield during travel also, when behind the bus,
    Thanks for all the good info guys I hope to find some trails in AZ and get some use out of my D-90 Nikon,
    Hey The 2012 Catlog just came out and they have a Jeep trailor big tires good ground clearance and in unfolds into a small camper pretty cool but around $11,000
    When I get down there I will post some pics,
    Last edited by lbriant; 11-03-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

Looking into a small 2 to 3 '' lift for our Rubicon, Front tires are hitting at the top with swaybar diconnected on hills? any Ideas or opinions on lifts?
    Would like one to increase flexibility off road and will ride as good or better on the road ????

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

I put AEV's 2 inch spacer lift on our rubicon. The spacers did not change the ride or drive. Be aware with all the new electronics the streeing wheel has to be dead center for all the elctronics to work correctly. With the two inches of lift there has been no problem and I did not recenter the steering.. I do have AVE's front bumper and a warn winch. With the added stuff the rubicon most likely is not 2" higher than when new.

Larry,
    What sort of base plate configuration do you have with your AEV? I am interested in adding this bumper to my 2012. I currently have a Blue Ox base plate installed, and I do not think it is compatible with the AEV.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W View Post
    I put AEV's 2 inch spacer lift on our rubicon. The spacers did not change the ride or drive. Be aware with all the new electronics the streeing wheel has to be dead center for all the elctronics to work correctly. With the two inches of lift there has been no problem and I did not recenter the steering.. I do have AVE's front bumper and a warn winch. With the added stuff the rubicon most likely is not 2" higher than when new.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

The Motorcycle lift is on and The Rubicon is going in the shop in the morning for a few nice upgrades
    and hopfully we can get started south !!!!

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

Here are the Jeep Jamborees for 2013
    They are posted on the POG Jeep Club too !!

http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/tripsregister/

We will be hitting the one in parker AZ,
    Happy Trails,

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

I have been towing an 09 Wrangler for a while, I do not disconnect anything, no steering lock. I take the key out, in Park with transfer case in Neutral.
    No problems. I read that in my manual too.

Jerry