Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20000 lb trailer hitch for 1998 Marathon 45' XL

Then the 20,000lb cradle proably wouldnt help because it is just shimmed inside the frame probably right?
    the frame would bare the same load. it would just be more weight!
    I will keep a close eye on it! anyone else have problems on here with a motorcycle lift?

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

North Carolina passed a new general statute last year and it allows a toater home or coach with trailer to be 90 feet as long as it is being used in conjunction with auto racing.

The 20,000# upgrade I believe increases the max tongue weight to 2000# which may be adequate for a motorcycle carrier. Depends on how far out the weight is hung.

Yea, i dont really understand that cause the cradle is bolted straight to the frame,(with some shimming) so increasing the cradle still puts the same weight on the frame rails in the back? and the bike mount mounts to the cradle and big sideplates welded on the frame

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

FWIW, here's the engine cradle for a 1999 XL:

This thread is good, my wife wants a trailer to put her long arm quilting machine in! But now I can tell her it will be to much strain on the coach. A good thing because it is just less stuff to haul around. and God knows I have enough at home, just unhook the toad, park and have a beer! Now that's what I am talking about, Oh I forgot the good cigar.

Thanks, David. That shows clearly how most of the weight of the engine is hanging out there on the end of two arms. It doesn't reflect that there is some limited counterbalance from the transmission which extends forward. It makes it apparent that weight on the hitch has a disproportionate impact on the forces acting at the rear of the cradle.

Here's a view of the rear subframe structure with the cantilevered engine beams. The engine cradle, pictured above, slides on the engine beams shown in this view:

Last edited by travelite; 10-21-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Here's a view of the Right Rear Structure. Component (62) is the engine beam that the engine cradle slides on. You can see that there is a horizontal component (42) that connects the engine beam to the side structure:

Last edited by travelite; 10-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Yet another view where the engine beams are clearly visible: