Thread: 91 Country Coach - Auto Level will not disengage.

Default 91 Country Coach - Auto Level will not disengage.

The auto "Leveling Control" indicator light in the dash remains on even when I switch the auto leveling system off. As a result the coach will not air up to travel height. When I switch between level and normal the indicator light blinks but stays on. However, when I move the switch to dump - it will dump whatever air is there.

I feel that it is a stuck solenoid that is hanging up the interlock with the travel air up routine, but I am not exactly sure what to check first.

We are new members of this forum and help would be truly appreciated.

Bob & Deb
    1991 Country Coach with 2009 Smart
    "The long and the Short of it"

Don't know if this will help you or not, but, I have a habit of manually raising the bus up to highest limit and then down to the lowest, then back to ride height at least once a month to kind of "exercise" the bus air leveling system. Sometimes more often.

Also, with the key off, I switch my level low rocker switches back and forth several times to keep any minor dust or corrosion from accumulating on the electrical contacts.

In my opinion, lack of regular use can be a significant contributor to a laundry list of problems.

Hope this helps....

Thans for the advice. I have only had the coach for a few days and am doing as you suggest. However in the process I am knocking some rust and gunk off some seldom used parts.

Regards

Bob & Deb
    1991 Country Coach With 2009 Smart
    "The long and the short of it"

When I spend time maintaining the bus, whether it's simply washing it or turning some wrenches, I tell my wife I'm "bonding" with it.....

Happy "bonding" with your new bus

Bob,

I am a Country Coach owner, 1995, that probably has a auto level system similar to yours. On my coach, a three position switch controls the auto level system, with auto, off, and dump positions. With this switch in the center position, off, and the manual left/right/front up/down position switch in the drive position, your coach should come to normal ride height, barring a component failure. Be sure to check that both switches are in the correct position for normal drive (drive position and off).

The CC auto level system manipulates the level low system provided by Prevost. You will need to check to assure the drive solenoid on the Prevost level low is energized to assure your coach will reach normal ride height. My coach has five electrical activated solenoids that manipulates the coach level. The center solenoid in the ride height solenoid for my coach. I believe your coach has four electrical solenoids. Perhaps one of the coach owners of your vintage coach that is familiar with the level low system could comment on which solenoid controls the ride height.

If this coach has been sitting for a while, I would rotate all the switches aggressively. A dirty contact on a switch can cause havoc.

Be sure to cycle the auto/off/dump switch aggressively also.

What part of the country is the coach located?

Hector

One thing to also be aware of if Hector's suggestions do not correct the problem. The ride height valves have an arm that pivots up or down when driving to maintain the coach's relationship to the road. The arm is free to rotate about its pivot point and at some number of degrees of rotation, either up or down it passes the point at which is will function. When it does the air flow into of from the air bags is blocked. If you manually place the coach in the approximate driving position using the leveling system, if the balance of your coach's leveling system is functioning properly it should be OK. If your entire coach will not rise or lower to the driving position it is unlikley all 3 ride height valves are not functioning simultaneously so if that is not the case don't waste time thinking it is because the odds of all three doing that are slim.

Having said that however, the fact you have an indicator light showing the leveling control is still "on" suggests to me the problem is associated with the electrical switching side of the system and not the pneumatic side. Make sure the switch which controls the suspension is in the position it should be for driving (every converter uses different terminology and I don't know what CC uses to describe the switch position for travel) and start there to confirm you are getting power to the solenoid valve that controls the driving position. I think your vintage coach has a 4 solenoid manifold located on the rear bulkhead in the steer compartment. I think the second solenoid valve down should be the one that must be energized to keep the bus in the driving position.

If you cannot sort out why the problem exists but need to drive, disconnect the electrical connections to all but the #2 solenoid valve and find a source of 24 volt power (I think it is 24 volts) to energize that #2 coil and your coach should go to ride height or the driving position. The other solenoids are for leveling the coach and are not energized while driving.

Welcome to the asylum. Remember, we always answer questions here. Just don't expect to get correct answers. When they are correct it is pure luck.

Hi Hector,

Thanks so much for your response. After reading your post, I rechecked each switch just to be sure they were in the correct position. Looking at them, they looked correct but I noticed on the level low 4 position switch may be on "front" rather than drive. I cranked up the coach and spun the switch around. I also flipped the auto level back to the level mode momentarily and then back to off. The "Level Control" indicator light went out and after a few minutes the coach pumped up to ride height. Clearly the first (but I doubt the last) case of operator error.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best Regards

Bob