Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Glass Class

Hybrid View

dalej Guest

Question The Glass Class

Ray and I have talked about the subject of glass replacment. We were wondering how many of you would like to know how to, or see how to replace a windshield. You would need to have a couple of tools to do the job. I can bring the glass and the tools to POGIII. I just want to know the interest from the group. We have a long time, (but it goes fast) untill we meet in Kerrville, Texas. Nebraska plays Texas in a few weeks for the Big 12 conference by the way. I will be putting in a windshield in my coach in the next couple of days so I will post pictures. It will show the basics of it.

Dale, I think I wrote something up on this but did not take pictures. I think if you do this with photos it may show others who are hesitant just how easy it is. The hardest part is actually getting the glass without getting screwed. I knew I needed one so I picked up two (a spare) when I went through Jacksonville the last time.

dalej Guest

Don't go to far Jon, your name came up on this one! You are going to Kerrville aren't you?

Definitely going to Kerrville. I want to watch you slide that glass in.

Default Glass class

Dale,

Count me in

I have a cord that is bunching up on one of my windows, and I would like to see how to remove it and re-install it. I'm sure that I would learn how to fix it after seeing your "glass class".

Thanks for offering to do the Glass Class.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Dale,
    Post pictures... I have a top glass cracked and hope I don't have to get to it from over the driver position inside.

Petervs Guest

Default Windshield replacement tips

Quote Originally Posted by dalej
    Ray and I have talked about the subject of glass replacment. We were wondering how many of you would like to know how to, or see how to replace a windshield. You would need to have a couple of tools to do the job. I can bring the glass and the tools to POGIII. I just want to know the interest from the group. We have a long time, (but it goes fast) untill we meet in Kerrville, Texas. Nebraska plays Texas in a few weeks for the Big 12 conference by the way. I will be putting in a windshield in my coach in the next couple of days so I will post pictures. It will show the basics of it.
    Well, this is a very nice step by step guide to changing the windshield, thanks for posting it. I would like to add a couple of thoughts.

1. I recently shopped around for a replacement windshield glass and found the best price was direct from Prevost. They pay the shipping and the net was $179. Amazingly the one pane of glass comes by Yellow Freight from Quebec to Washington state in the same huge and well made box as is shown in the photos here. It took about 2 weeks for the box to arrive.

2. Last year I had the drivers windshield shatter by a very small bird while driving at about 55 mph. It cracked so bad you could not see through it to drive. At that time I bought 2 windshields from a bus supply place in Sumner,WA ( also cost $180 a piece including sales tax); drove it in the toad 800 miles round trip to where the bus was, and had a local glass shop install it. They charged me about $100 to do it. Next time I would do it myself but it was nice to watch a professional do it once first.

3. The second windshield is now stored against the back wall of the huge closet in the bedroom for future use as a spare. It only takes up 1/4 inch! When you need one there is not always one close by.

4. When the broken windshield was removed by the glass guy, there was an hour spent removing sealer goop from the groove of the rubber seal. The last installer had used some kind of silicone sealer. So the professional installer did it the same way. Now we know that this is really not needed at all and only makes the job harder next time.

5. The Prevost parts guy was very helpful. He talked to me about the special installation tool they sell, and I bought one. Picture attached ( I hope) It does the same job as the tool pictured in the photos on the link above, but is made entirely differently. The handle portion is 5 inches long and the rubber cord goes through the handle as you go along. They get $50 for it so it must be twice as good as the one shown right? After I use it I will let you know how good it really is.

Drive safely,

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images

dalej Guest

Peter the one I shown in the photo cost me $49 from prevost in 1999. Our company can get them direct from the manufacture and I was going to let people have them at our cost for the upcoming glass class. really doesn't matter where they buy it, just as long as they have one on hand, along with the plastic sticks.

I'm learning a lot. I made my own plastic stick by cutting and shaping a piece of plastic water pipe and my insertion tool was a flat bladed screw driver.

Peter,

Nice post. You made me stop and think when you mentioned the 800 mile parts trip in the toad. It may be time for me to make room in my closet.

Mike