Thread: POG 10 Mileage

Default POG 10 Mileage

It was time to depart for POG 10 and I was curious as to the mileage my vintage 97 rivet coach with a series 60 DD could get on a 900 mile trip.

I needed a goal and I decided to see if 10 MPG was possible. I knew that I needed compromise my driving style, comfort and driving time in order to achieve or even come close to the goal. Reducing speed, acceleration rate, and coach weight would be critical. Just for good measure I increased my cold tire inflation pressure to 110 PSI on all axels. Turned off the air conditioning, removed 10 cases of beer from the front bay, waxed the bus and left the toad at home.

Considered but decided against drafting behind unfriendly semi-trucks, folding the mirrors back and adding a plywood nose to achieve streamlining.

Achieved a respectable 9.85 MPG overall and 10.24 in top gear cruise.

It was good for grins but as Jon likes to point out, fuel doesn’t matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnklopp; 10-03-2011 at 03:42 PM.

WHOW,I have never heard of anyone getting more than 9 MPG,your average speed was also fairly high,what speed did you decide to maintain?

Speed control set for 65-67 most of the time, trying to stay with the flow of the trucks. Very brief passing speed up to 75 a few times.

In the pursuit of fuel mileage has anybody ever re-ringed to say, maybe a 4.11:1?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    In the pursuit of fuel mileage has anybody ever re-ringed to say, maybe a 4.11:1?
    Orren, I have thought of it but have not done anything, by the way I have a 4.56:1 ratio now, which is quite common. Often think of the locking option with the switch on the dash too, not a mileage related thought though, just nice to have in some situations.

Good job John Klopp, I can't get over 7.5 mpg.

JIM

While few of us are willing to suffer without the use of energy robbing comforts like AC John has proven we have the potential for better fuel mileage. Some things are out of our control such as headwinds and hills. Both eat into our mileage substantially. John did the right things. He did not tow. He was aware of weights and reduced his below the lower weight he already enjoys with a 40 foot coach. He let the cruise control work and his speed was such that he likely had minimal braking.

If John had run his generator (maybe he did) he could have run all his house AC units and his inverters would have charged his batteries reducing the load on the alternator and he would have blown through the 10 MPG target because the generator fuel usage is not reflected in the Pro Driver. Still he has proven that we can get mileage that will make most non Prevost owners envy us even more.

Jon, Picked up the jacks at your house, thanks for holding on to these for me, Went to rob Russells and got shocks put on and new lifts for the TV, were going to change the air dryer filter but Prevost was out of the company wide! Thought that was unusual, can these be purchased elsewhere? Also will be changing Air bags , Norgrens, Brake chambers next year at Russells good guy! Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael View Post
    Jon, Picked up the jacks at your house, thanks for holding on to these for me, Went to rob Russells and got shocks put on and new lifts for the TV, were going to change the air dryer filter but Prevost was out of the company wide! Thought that was unusual, can these be purchased elsewhere? Also will be changing Air bags , Norgrens, Brake chambers next year at Russells good guy! Gary
    Rob & Wendy Russell are the best! You'll never be disappointed!

Gary, I get all my filters, belts etc including the Wabco spin on cartridge locally. Try Truck Pro.