Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Routes through Austin to POG X at La Hacienda

Default Recommended Routes through Austin to POG X at La Hacienda

For those arriving at POG on a week day, do so after 9 a.m. or before 3 p.m. If arriving from East of Austin via I-10 and Highway 71, be aware that Highway 71 West will be a parking lot from the airport Southeast of Austin, around the South of the city and all the way up to Highway 71 from Oak Hill to Bee Caves and then North on 620 to La Hacianda. Friday afternoon, admittedly a bad time for travel, took one hour and forty-five minutes to travel from Bergstrom Airport to La Hacianta (a distance of about 35 miles). Highway 71 is under construction from Oak Hill to Bee Caves and is two lanes only. We idled for over ten miles during the process. Two lights had lines one mile long.
    If you can do so, there is less construction from the North via Highway 183 West from I-35 to 620 and then South on 620 across Mansfield Dam to the La Hacienta turnoff. If you are in the heavy trafffic time, however, it wll be difficult ....so relax, take it in stride and enjoy the view.
    Pres

I will post a recommended route from each direction of arrival for the rally in the rally forum later today. There is some construction going on as El Presidente mentions that makes some of the normal routes less desirable.

Default Recommended Routes through Austin to POG X at La Hacienda

There have been a couple of questions and comments about the best routes to the rally site. Given some local construction, some of the routes folks have taken in the past are not the best currently. Since I live here and cross the city in the bus, following are routes I would recommend to you coming into the rally:
    (Note: if you click on "view larger map" in the lower left corner, it will give you more details and distances)

From the East, I-10 corridor.

There are a couple of alternative routes coming out of Houston. In my view, the best is to come over on I-10 to Columbus, and exit to the west on TX Hwy 71. Once you arrive in Austin, cross under I-35 and continue west on 71/290. At the next major intersection of freeways, stay right on Capital of Texas Highway or Loop 360 (both are the same). Take Cap of Tex/360 on around to the west and then it will bear north and cross Lake Austin. The 2nd exit after crossing Lake Austin is FM 2222. Exit and turn left or west on 2222. Take 2222 out to RR 620. Turn left on 620 (follow sign to "Lakeway"). After you cross the bridge below the dam, you will go up a small rise and then downhill to a light. That light is Hudson Bend Road which is where you turn right to go to La Hacienda.

View Larger Map

From the North, I-35 Corridor:

The cleanest quickest route is to take a toll road around the north side of the city to RR 620. Don't worry about a TexTag - they will photograph your license and send you a bill. It is only a couple of bucks and well worth the avoidance of traffic.

Exit 250B on I-35 south, Texas Toll 1. Merge onto Texas Toll 45 heading west. Now here comes a short cut - there is a dedicated exit for RR 620; however, it is short of the end of the tollway, and there is a better way. Continue on Toll 45 all the way to its termination at TX 183 for a couple of additional miles. You will see a big flyover west and east to exit onto 183. Stay to the left and there is an exit called Pecan Park Blvd (and 620). Follow it and you will drop right down onto RR 620 and avoid crossing the lights at 183 which you would do if you took the RR 620 exit a mile or so back. Very simple. Follow 620 towards Lakeway. After you cross the bridge below the dam, you will go up a small rise and then downhill to a light. That light is Hudson Bend Road which is where you turn right to go to La Hacienda.

View Larger Map

From the West, I-10 Corridor:

Those coming from California, etc, exit I-10 at exit 477, east of Junction and follow US-290 all the way to it's intersection with TX 71 in Oak Hill just southwest of Austin. Turn left on TX 71 and follow that to RR 620. Turn Right on 620 and follow that to Hudson Bend Rd. Turn left on Hudson Bend to La Hacienda. There is construction on 71 between 290 and 620. The only work around involves some narrow 2 lane roads with no shoulder. Let me know if you want those directions.

View Larger Map

If anyone is coming from other directions and would like input, please let me know.

Rand McDeen,

Do you recommend the 360 route on Saturday or Sunday as well?

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Good job Gordo, will you lead us in like Jdub does at the hanger?

Gordon,

When you are on 20 west, heading towards Dallas, do you recommend dropping down and running 79 into Austin or would you choose 20 to Dallas and then down 35?

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rmboies View Post
    Gordon,

When you are on 20 west, heading towards Dallas, do you recommend dropping down and running 79 into Austin or would you choose 20 to Dallas and then down 35?

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob,

It is shorter going on 79 but you have many small towns to go through. I-35 on the other hand can be a crap shoot between Dallas and Austin on traffic. I usually just go 20 to I-35 and drop down to stay with the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Loc View Post
    Rand McDeen,

Do you recommend the 360 route on Saturday or Sunday as well?
    Si Senor LocStar.

Gordon...

Thanks so much for all your work on that... much appreciated !!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Gordon,
    We will be coming from San Antonio. Should we come North on 35, or US281 to US290, or something else? Thanks!
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S