Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CC Bus air condition problem

Quote Originally Posted by rahangman View Post
    This bus was converted to 134a before I bought it. The hoses are not anywhere "New" but the pull down and servicing did not identify any leakage. How would I determine approximate age of existing hoses, in the engine compartment of course they don't look "bad" but not anywhere GOOD. There is a lot of corrosion on the hose fittings and I can imagine what it would be like to start trying to break them loose to replace, especially with no indication of leakage. I know there is an age date on the hoses life not unlike our tires, just wondering. Talking with Foretravel here today and local Napa , I will take current receiver/dryer into their shops for a look see. I don't want to put exact same dryer in , in case it was the cause of the compressor failure. Both locations mentioned that the quantity of the desicant was the critical concern.
    Country Coach used barrier hose that is compatible with 134a, but Prevost, for the dash a/c system, DID NOT until they switched over at the last minute when the government mandated it. If the system was converted, were the Prevost hoses to the dash a/c replaced with barrier hose? If this was not done, the system will continually be a leak problem from the Prevost hoses.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Ben is dead on as usual, Prevost dash air on my previous 94 Liberty was Non Barrier hose and not compatible with 134a. Further, Prevost told me the dash air hard pipe freon lines did not go all the way from rear to front and had hose sections midway, necessitating a major expense when converting to 134a. You can buy a lot of R-12 for what the conversion costs.

Current Update and I apologize for being a bit "tardy". We have replaced the Compressor and receiver/dryer in the engine compartment. As I mentioned before, I do not have the Prevost Bus air, only the CC system which seems to have been piggy backed on the original Prevost Bus air. Now, servicing and starting up compressor provides excellent cold air to bedroom and galley condensers & cabin, however , the dash air is not doing as well. The solenoid behind the front bumper is suspect. I have closed my valves on the engine to the front of the bus, but, still not much hope. Drove the bus a short distance and while driving, I thought I felt some increased cooling from the dash ducting, but not holding out for the solenoid change out. When I take "Her" home this week end, will see if extended driving might free up the solenoid. Will report back if anything changes, if not will be looking to replace that solenoid. Pray for me, (hee hee).

Rodger, If you can easily access the solenoid valve check the coil for open windings. If the coil checks out and you supply power to the coil you are likely to actually hear or feel it click open. If you do hear it function check elsewhere rather than having to evacuate and recharge the system again. It might be as simple as it is not getting power.

The Prevost web site will have the diagrams for your coach's electrical system which should be a good starting point unless CC modified it.

http://prevostparts.volvo.com/techni.../en/wiring.asp

Roger, Just a heads up. My dash AC also seemed to be on the fritz last summer, while the other two evaporators worked fine off of the same compressor. Found my temperature knob (heater control knob) was turned up, causing warm air up front. Most likely bumped it with my leg at some time getting in or out of my seat. I'd look at that...My dash cooling also only works when bedroom and galley units are turned on, which is good because they will ice up if the fans are not running on high speed. So, when I run dash air, all units come on at full speed except the dash and I can get by at 50% speed on it without icing up..

FWIW: