Thread: Dash Air question

Default Dash Air question

I’m replacing my dash air compressor on my 97 XL-45. The new compressor is charged with oil. Is additional oil through the system required and does anyone know how much ? I wanted to do this tomorrow (Sunday) so not sure if I can get this answer from Prevost today or not. Anyone know approx how much 134 Freon is required so I can get around the right amount at the auto parts store tomorrow ? I'm reusing the old clutch if it looks good. Prevost wanted $450 for a new one. Any tips on anything special to inspect for on the clutch welcomed also.

This thread is title OTR but to confirm, this is the dash air compressor I'm replacing.
    Last edited by Abaco; 09-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Abaco,

If your new compressor is a York/CCI, you can check the oil. Here's an older post I did: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ght=compressor

My Royal is 40' so yours probably takes more 134a, but mine is 5.4 lbs. Check your clutch out real good, I just had one seize up coming home from Petosky. Be careful on your pulley alignment, I suspect that helped mine go bad.

Had mine done right after Petosky called Prevost Jax and was told 6 and 1/2 pounds, that's what we did and is working premo-fine now. Mine is also a 45 ft as to the difference in the pondage from Tom. Hope this helps, Bill
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

You must also vacuum pump the system

And while knowing the amount of 134 to put in the system, treat that as a good starting point. The gauges and an IR heat gun will ultimately tell you when the freon charge is correct.

But Jack is absolutely correct. You need to replace the dryer, vacuum the system to at least less than 1000 microns and hold that for an extended peiod with the vacuum pump off. It wouldn't hurt to pressure check with nitrogen to insure it is leak free under pressure. No sense going to the expense and effort and not do it right.

Then recharge and use the gauges and IR heat gun to optimize the performance.