Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello everyone My Wife and I are New members :)

Thanks Jon, and everyone else !!
    I priced the 20,000lb hitch kit, (it is called) it was like $3.200 which I have no problem with and I could have ordered it right then, it gets shipped from canada and put together partially down here,
    I also reciveved about 10 pages of instructions in detail, and yes you must remove the cradle and replace it the instruction sheet says to support motor with detroit diesel tool Etc Etc and lower the coach untill off the cradle cut transmission bar and slide old cradle out, Well when you put it back together there is some drilling and welding involved and we all know how much our coaches like welding
    I build harley motors and have pulled and worked on car motors front and rear wheel drive my whole life but I would rather have this work done by somone else, But prevost work is limited they were at around $6,500 to put the hitch on !!!
    Wow they said they had to pull the whole motor and tranny I said I thought they could just lift it a bit and slide it out? then they said oh maybe? I am not a Rock star or a Nascar driver so I need to pinch my pennys but still get it done right, we are just getting ready to go full time so a stacker trailor seemed nice to have room to work on my stuff and haul some extra shoes for the wife .)
    PS I wish I knew how to put my Coach pic by my name like you guy's

Would you mind telling me what it cost you total? for the change from 10 to 20,000lb

Thinking of trying Featherlight in Minnisota? They should know how to make the coach ready to pull a few thousand extra pounds?

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

OK, that's not bad. We ran into a bus a few years ago puffing up I-17 towards Flagstaff that had an Escalade and 2 harleys on the bottom deck, and a golf cart and a boat on a trailer above the Caddy. He said he was weighing over 20,000lbs for the trailer and occupant toys and got 3.5-4 mpg in an H3-45 Thats alot, we said!!
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Wow the trailer weighs about 10,500 and has a max of 21,000 loaded we would not put more than around 6,000lbs in it normally?
    Hope I get more than that per gallon? Course Flagstaff is a pretty good hill, sometimes when we go to Phoenix I get tired of holding the foot pedal to the floor seems like an hour up hill??? or back the other way from phoenix to presscot valley,
    Any one else pulling any stackers with any advice?

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley

I don't pull a stacker. I pull a 6700 pound H2 Hummer.

If I was in charge of buying a car to tow it would weigh as little as possible and if I could it would be 3500 pounds or less.

Pulling 10,000 pounds is beyond my ability to comprehend. Pulling a 20,000 pound trailer is something so significant I would want it equipped with air brakes and a 20,000 pound hitch. If you need to pull a stacker you have to accept stress on your drive train, brakes, and your nerves. You will go slow up hills, and if you are not planning way ahead of the coach you will go fast down hills. Driving will shift from enjoyable to a real job. Your fuel mileage will suck.

Detroit Diesel once taught that service intervals are suggestions and the real criteria for how often to service should be based on fuel consumption because that is the measure of how hard the engine and its oil is working. I just don't know where to find a link to that. If the engine is working hard that means your transmission fluids are working harder. Your differential is working hard and getting hot. Your radiator has to be in tip-top shape.

My point is if you absolutely have to pull a stacker make sure you and the coach are fully prepared for all that that entails. Leaving home without the Hummer hitched to the rear makes a significant difference in how my coach performs and my ease of driving. Something 2 or 3 times the weight to me would be a nightmare.

Prevost has as on option a gauge to measure differential temperature.

JIM

Wow all good info I have pulled my toyota camery, then my jeep itis 4,500lbs or my bike trailor and two harleys, around 3,500lbs
    I hooked up to the stacker empty and pulled it 10 0r twenty miles pretty flat at 10,000lbs didnt really notice it was back there, But I am always nevous in the moutains even with my old motorhome with a v 10 in it I always try try to downshift and stay off the brakes, After a few hours of moutain driving and we shut the rig off I am ready for relaxation drink .)
    My smaller v nose trailor dropped my milage 1 mpg from 7.3 to 6.3

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley