Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Water...

Just thought I would chime in with about $.02 worth. My CC has a switch that says Pumps. When on, both pumps work and do a good job, with little or no noise being noticed once the pressure tank and switch kick in. We don't bother to hook the water up on arrival at campgrounds unless we are low on water in the tank. I can fill the tank directly from my hose, which is faster than using the auto fill but I have a seperate opening in my water compartment for the hose. If I wish, I can connect to the regular hose attachement and leave the hose connected, and simply turn off my pump switch inside the coach and select auto fill instead. Now, when doing this with the auto fill, I have to monitor the level gauge as it has no auto-shut off when the tank is full. I simply set the timer on the Micro Wave for 15 min or whatever estimated time I need. If I forget or whatever, it simply overflows, the neighbor or a campground attendent comes over waving their arms and wanting a cold beer for telling me about the water gushing out of the side of my coach (sometimes they just shut the water spigot off). While auto filling and I do not have water flow in the bus. With the hose connected to the bus, and pumps off, I have outside water pressure (through a press regulator) available, so, I carry an extra water pump for an emer and just go through the onboard water tank which I think holds 180 gal. Thats the way it is in CC land.

I found a Headhunter pump on Amazon last year,since I dry camp I have no choice if the pump fails but to check into a motel so I have the pump and that is the best insurance that it will never fail.

Greg,

The decision about using city water (and pressures) or to pump from your holding tank is usually based on how your converter designed the water system. A conventional motorhome may have been equipped with a single low flow water pump so in that case municipal water would be the preference. But I think the Prevost converters today want to have a water system that is capable of handling multiple uses without any degradation in water flow so they are being equipped with high volume, high flow pumps so someone taking a shower is unaffected by someone flushing a toilet.

Mark is correct about not worrying about water pressure and I think you will agree the variations in municiple water systems will make it just nicer to use your pump.

This is true, but largely dependent on the type of toilet being used as well. If it is a direct drop Sealand, Thetford, or Microphor Electric toilet, little water is used for flushing, so it doesn't really matter which approach to water system design is used, but it does matter if the toilet is a Royal Flush "Water jet pump" toilet. The Royal Flush toilet takes high velocity water to create the venturi vacuum in the volute of the bowl, and the "jet pump" principle of evacuating, macerating the toilet bowl contents, and pumping the contents to the waste tank. This toilet takes a full 1-inch water line plumbed from the pump outlet through the flush valve and directly to the toilet to accomplish the flushing. An accumulator tank can be placed at this juncture in the fresh water system so that the toilet can often times be flushed without the pump turned on as long as city water pressure was high enough, even if the flow rate was not there through the smaller diameter city water hose and the protection regulator and smaller fresh water piping lines, but this is still not a "sure thing" to flushing without the pump. The sad thing was, regardless of what the coach converters wanted to put in for a toilet, the Royal Flush became an "industry standard" at a point in the late 90's, and since then, all the big converters have utilized them.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Ben,

My CC Magna that I had last year had a Headhunter toilet that was electric, no air, and worked off city water or pump. It worked pretty well with various water pressures. I don't recall the model or name, other than Headhunter, but seems like that would be a good alternative to air. I've had both versions of Microphor, air and electric and the air seems to work best. My preference over all of them is the Microphor air.

Jon has to have the Headhunter Extreme Duty, don't flush while seated, Mega Turd Slinger for obvious reasons! He has even attempted to improve performance by using an air doubler while poor Di waits outside with a close pin on her nose and ear protection.

I believe Truk is in the early stages of dementia. He has me mixed up with JDUB and the Anaconda affair.