Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Water...

Default City Water...

I am jus curious why converters always or it seems always have the coach water supply supplied via the onboard fresh water tank and pump even when hooked to a city water source? So I always have to manage the avaliable water to the faucets by refilling the onboard water tank. All of the production motor homes I have owned bypass the onboard water tank and pump when connected to an external presurized water source...

I prefer it this way. You keep your tank filled with fresh water and don't have to worry about city water pressure either being to high or low.

Greg,

The decision about using city water (and pressures) or to pump from your holding tank is usually based on how your converter designed the water system. A conventional motorhome may have been equipped with a single low flow water pump so in that case municipal water would be the preference. But I think the Prevost converters today want to have a water system that is capable of handling multiple uses without any degradation in water flow so they are being equipped with high volume, high flow pumps so someone taking a shower is unaffected by someone flushing a toilet.

Mark is correct about not worrying about water pressure and I think you will agree the variations in municiple water systems will make it just nicer to use your pump.

Is this a Millenium thing? I have had a Marathon, CC, Liberty and now the Royale and they have all been plumbed to allow city water direct into the coach. All 4 have had fresh water fill, either automatic or manual to the fresh water tank for use with the pump when not hooked to city water.

Truk, our 2001 Royale has the city water coming in via the tank. You are right though with the '97 Royale. It came straight in to the coach! So it isn't just a Millenium thing.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

The pressure using shore water doesnt come close, partly due topressure regulators on board and at campsites. I prefer to use the on board pump.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary did hit it on the head as far as our Libertys are concerned, and likely others. We have a regulated incoming water flow. The regulator is an in-line flow restrictor that limits system pressure to 45 PSI. There is no doubt that is excellent protection for RV parks with excessive water pressure (the highest we have encountered was about 100 PSI near Salt Lake City) that prtection comes at a price. With the regulator in place not only is the system pressure restricted, but the flow in gallons per minute is also impacted.

We have a decent size expansion (or accumulator) tank which provides a good flow rate at that pressure for flushing the toilet, but we have been in some RV parks where their pressure is low or flow rate is restricted so recovery time after flushing is slow. On a coach without an expansion tank it seems almost a requirement to use the water pump from the tank to deliver the flow required.

Ignore what the Royale guys are saying. They have tiny pumps so city water works better for them. Especially Truk who has to pee every 10 minutes.

I just got in the habit years ago of allowing the RV park water to run for a few minutes before hooking up to our coach. With our Marathon filling the storage tank via city water is filtered first through a primary filter with a clear observation canister. Prefer the large house water pump for on call pressure service and zero complaints from the Mrs on water pressure.
    Marathons also have the accumulator tanks for quiet service. I assume that is standard on all Prevost conversions ?

I think that the Headhunter toilet will not flush properly without the headhunter pump being activated,the converters that us Headhunter do not have a choice but to make sure that the pump is the primary source of water pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I think that the Headhunter toilet will not flush properly without the headhunter pump being activated,the converters that us Headhunter do not have a choice but to make sure that the pump is the primary source of water pressure.
    That's exactly right.

Although we can survive on shore water pressure for everything else if we have to, the Headhunter toilet will not flush unless we use our pump.

The good news is that our setup using the pump assures us of consistent water pressure throughout the bus regardless of demand. The bad news is that without that pump you better have a real good Plan B for using a toilet.