Thread: Blowing fuse

Default Blowing fuse

I just installed a small compressor for my Aux tank. I have a regulator to turn it on and off, things run fine until the regulator turns off the compressor then the fuse blows. Frist I blow 2 15 amp fuses, stepped up to a 20 amp and it blow. I am reluctant to go higher. What size fuse are others using? Any idea about why I am blowing fuses when the it shut off?

Greg, I would check to see how much current the compressor is drawing. If it is a new compressor, I would think a 15 or 20 amp fuse should not be blowing. I would also think the paperwork should tell you the required amperage. If it is a used compressor, it could be that when the compressor comes back on after shutting off, it see more resistance because of the pressure that is already in the tank. I am assuming it is actually blowing when the compressor tries to come back on after pumping up and shutting off. Mine occassionally trips the breaker when it shuts off then comes back on after a short time while there is still a significant amount of pressure in the tank. I attribute mine to age (12 years).

If yours is new, I would take it back if it is drawing too much current.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

No mine is used and it has a solenoid, like the ones that control the low level, coming off the pressure supply line that vents the line pressure so that it doesn't have to start against pressure. It blows the fuse when I adjust the limit switches. I have it running and then back off on the screws controlling the pressure and the fuse blows as the contacts open up.