Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding Water Bay and Gen Bay on 97 Royal

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to donsome searching on the topic within this forum as suggested.

More later.

Rather than a new thread - when we rebuilt out OTR we had to remove the gen set and all its sound deadening lead foam. On re installation we lost a good bit of its effectiveness.

I really don't want to pull the set again - does anyone have a good idea of what I could install in sheet form over the old foam without removing the set.STBD MID GENERATOR BAY.jpg

Contact Dick Wright at

http://www.wricointernational.com/

Thanks for all so far.

There is some talk of Headhundter Toilets which I think are supposed to be the best ones. My 97 has a Microphor which I"m not very happy with. If a redo of the water bay going to provide a good time to upgrade to a Head hunter brand ? I don't konw if I want to go so far as tearing into the holding tanks I'm mainly wanting to update the exterior access bay. I'm ditching all the filtration and levers and cooper that go with that and will put something more usuable like an electric pressure waser pump or a hose reel. My bus doesn't even have a good palce to put the waste hoses. I could make storage for that maybe.
    I nicer faucet maybe, stainless trim. I'm in Central Florida. Is there anyone around my parts that would be good to look at what I'm trying to do and help size up a draiwing for me to go work on ? Or am I save just tearing into it and using logic. I don't want to get tripped up accdiently and you guys no so much more about these things. Can I wing this and figure out w/o fear of any pit traps that will get me ?

Try Donnie Myers RV in Sanford,he works on a variety of Prevost also all of the sponsors that are in Florida could do it also.

Mark,

I'm just down the road in Port Saint Lucie if you want to take a peek at mine.

Mark,

One thing to remember is that except for the fact that everything you do has to fit in the available space there is probably no limit to what you can do. We have a Headhunter toilet and I like its simplicity and how well it functions. But, in order for that toilet to work well you need to deliver a strong flow at a fairly high pressure, at least no less than 30 PSI and if possible higher. That is not difficult if you do two things. First, make sure you have at least 1" of piping or tubing to the toilet, and to insure a high delivery flow make sure you have an expansion or accumulator tank. They are cheap, but do take up room.

You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. It is best if you can install a pump capable of delivering a high volume at a higher pressure also. While the standard of the conventional motorhome industry has been the smaller Shurflo water pumps, it is unlikely an unassisted pump is going to prove adequate so you need to operate a pump at a higher pressure such as 60 to 65 PSI, or increase the delivery volume by running parallel pumps simultaneously.

If you can take Paul up on his offer and see how his Headhunter toilet is supplied. I don't think he has an accumulator tank, but he is likely to have a large Headhunter pump. That is a more expensive alternative to smaller pumps and an accumulator tank.

Keep asking questions.

IMG_0057..JPG

That is a picture of my bay, almost in its present configuration with the water tank removed. The Groco pump is the primary and delivers a lot of water. The Shurflo is my back up, but with the accumulator tank and the system at the pump cut off pressure of 45 PSI I have no problem with a toilet flush.

Headhunter is good stuff. I have had in yachts and 2 Prevosts, including a 2001 Royale. It works well, is reliable, and the support from the manufacturer first rate. However, when you do have a failure, part are expensive. The failures I expierienced were with the tank level monitors. The components are fully encapsulated in epoxy, so if a unit fails replacement is the only choice. $500+ just for the display.

Still, I am very happy with the equipment.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Rather than a new thread - when we rebuilt out OTR we had to remove the gen set and all its sound deadening lead foam. On re installation we lost a good bit of its effectiveness.

I really don't want to pull the set again - does anyone have a good idea of what I could install in sheet form over the old foam without removing the set.STBD MID GENERATOR BAY.jpg
    To answer your question, to effectively install any new insulation, you will probably have to remove the genset, but if you are agile and small in size, you may get by with installing a product call "Soundcoat" which comes in adhesive-backed blocks, but still needs to have screw and fender washers placed ever so often especially on horizontal surfaces to prevent it from falling down over time of heat exposure. The company offers several different types of insulation, depending on how much heat resistance you need (whether your gen bay is lined with metal to protect against fire). I recommend the Soundmat LFM if the compartment is metal-lined for fire safety, or Soundfoam ML, or they will make you a laminated hydrib of both if desired. I also recommend you get the outer surface with the aluminum sheet covering for protection against water. Hope this helps.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Mark,
    Welcome to POG. If you can stand a little ribbing, this is the place for dedicated wrench-heads.

You might consider giving Royale Phoenix, http://www.royalephoenix.com/ a call. Glenn Berden is a partner at RP and is an electrical engineer who developed many of the original systems at Royale. Glenn has developed a new tank monitor system that he recently installed in our bus. He will customize the system to your requirements and send it to you as a kit. I watched Glenn install ours and it was a very simple installation. You should also consider the SeeLevel gauge http://www.rvgauge.com/. There is reportedly some difficulty in getting this system to stick to the tanks. Andre D. recently installed this system and maybe he will jump in here. As others have mentioned, you might consider not eliminating any water filters. Even if you don't drink the water, others may consider this important in the future.

As to the generator bay, this is a project I have been putting off but is on my short term punch list also. Others on the forum have made some terrific improvements to this area. You might consider not using foam insulation or if you do, using a foil covered material which would be much easier to both install and to keep clean. Good luck with the project and we'd all appreciate it if you could post pics of your progress.