Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Overheating

This is after the fact and kind of like Monday Morning quarterbacking, but I have learned that nobody cares as much about our coaches as we do. So the cynic in me mistrusts everyone who works on my coach (very rare) to the point I double check their work.

For those who have not yet been burned by poor service (I was literally burned, but that's another story) it never hurts to check and verify. For our transmissions there are two ways we have of monitoring them. The first is to observe the transmission temperature gauge. I constantly monitor it and under all conditions except when the retarder is in use it almost perfectly tracks the engine coolant temperature. When the retarder is in use it will climb (rapidly) but I limit it to 230 degrees. I suspect Fred saw higher transmission temps than normal and in his defense if you talk to techs or Allison experts they know a retarder will heat up the fluid so they are very quick to say to not worry about temps because the transmission itself will limit the temps as required. What they fail to recognize is that their comments are taken to heart and are not qualified as not being applicable to over filling because nobody thinks of that.

The second tool owners have at their disposal is the Allison fluid level check. With the transmission up to temperature press both arrows and the transmission (at idle and in neutral) will measure the fluid content and display the results. This is a great thing to do while waiting with the engine idling waiting for the turbo to cool down after a run. (You all do understand that before shutting down it is good practice to idle for a couple of minutes to cool down the turbocharger, right?)

Had this check been done as soon as the service on Fred's transmission been done the technician would have known of the overfull condition, and had Fred done this somewhat regularly he also would have been alerted. Using the transmission fluid level check is preferable to pulling and reading the dip stick, but don't forget that is a good way to double check.

It is unfortunate this happened and I hope the Allison dealer in Las Vegas can be held responsible for the cost of the repairs.

Thanks Jon,

I would like to add that the temperature shown on the dash is apparently the Retarder Temperature whereas the 300 degree spike I was seeing was the Sump temperature. Each has a separate sensor and the sump reading comes only over the DDEC bus.

I have the Silverleaf display and in my case the Detroit information center and the Silverleaf display are always the same,i guess that they changed something along the way,I hope that you have good luck Fred in repairing or replacing the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by BoaterAl View Post
    Mark, according to my younger sister nothing could ever overheat in Duluth. Have you turned on your A/C yet.
    Yep! We have actually had a warm summer for a change. Even some over 90 degree days with high humidity. I thought it was hot at Prevost TN when I was there, but when I got home it was the same or warmer for a few days.

Well, after more troubleshooting and a phone call to Allison, we ordered a reman and now have to wait several days for it. It will be at least a 7 day delay when its all over. Quoted price is $13k, parts and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by flloyd View Post
    Well, after more troubleshooting and a phone call to Allison, we ordered a reman and now have to wait several days for it. It will be at least a 7 day delay when its all over. Quoted price is $13k, parts and labor.
    That is too bad. Any idea if you will get any consideration from the dealer who last did the service on it?

OUCH.....Sorry to hear about that getting your attention for $13 large. One thing about the Allison rebuilds all units are dyno tested before going in your bus.

What kind of warranty comes with it ?

We keep a couple of spares in our shop. A B500 & B500R. Nobody stocks these, unless they're a bus company.
    We haven't had the best luck with the Allison Remans. We had a couple of seal issues while they were under warrenty.
    We have had excellent service and delivery from a company in Illinois. Authorized Transmission Remanufacturing. www.atreman.com
    Their warrenty is the best in the business (3 years vs Allisons 2 yrs), also their warrenty extends to labor if the transmission fails.
    Shipping is free. A B500R was priced at 7,500.00 to your location. But that was eariler this year.

Great information Kevin.

When my transmission was replaced it had the latest Allison software. As I recall it took about 2 hours for the DD and Allison software to be updated so they would work together. I do not know if that is always required, but my '96 DDEC had to communicate with an '08 transmission before everything would work as required.