Quote Originally Posted by JIM CHALOUPKA View Post
Orren, my $.02 on this. I personally would go with a new original part or one just like it, the reason being the chain break always goes to the weakest link. You presently have an escape valve of sorts and I would rather have it brake than the casting it is bolted to.

As I am sure you know mechanical failures will just move down the line to the next point that will fail.

The area of the components appears from the photo to be quite rusted and corroded, maybe due to road salt or storage in a damp environment, be that as it may, I would clean everything up as well as possible and use a new plate and high grade fasteners all torqued to specs. Also note the elongated bolt hole next to the failure point, this suggests to me that the assembly was loose and moving. This would in itself lead me to think that improper fastening and not the bracket/plate thickness/strength was at fault, but then again, who knows ....happens and your there and I am here.
As an aside the welded plate probably was doomed to failure from the start and should have been only regarded as a temporary repair, just say'n, please take no offense.
Hope it all works out!

JIM
Excellent analysis Jim. Do you think Stress Corrosion Cracking could be the cause? Looks like a salty environment. It looks like Prevost designed the bracket to flex and absorb energy. Toughness is key. Unless this is a widespread problem, I'd do what Jim suggested. Replace it with a new part. Make sure it's nicely painted with new hardware torqued to spec. Just my 2 cents.