Thread: Transmission Overheating

Hybrid View

OUCH.....Sorry to hear about that getting your attention for $13 large. One thing about the Allison rebuilds all units are dyno tested before going in your bus.

What kind of warranty comes with it ?

We keep a couple of spares in our shop. A B500 & B500R. Nobody stocks these, unless they're a bus company.
    We haven't had the best luck with the Allison Remans. We had a couple of seal issues while they were under warrenty.
    We have had excellent service and delivery from a company in Illinois. Authorized Transmission Remanufacturing. www.atreman.com
    Their warrenty is the best in the business (3 years vs Allisons 2 yrs), also their warrenty extends to labor if the transmission fails.
    Shipping is free. A B500R was priced at 7,500.00 to your location. But that was eariler this year.

Great information Kevin.

When my transmission was replaced it had the latest Allison software. As I recall it took about 2 hours for the DD and Allison software to be updated so they would work together. I do not know if that is always required, but my '96 DDEC had to communicate with an '08 transmission before everything would work as required.

Fred,
    How did your transmission experience end? (or has it)...

Not that it would be significant in Fred's situation but I thought we were told at the seminar in OK City that Transynd could take 300 degrees without creating issues. Did i get that wrong?

Jim mentioned that you can check the oil level from the Allison pad. For those of you unfamiliar with this function it's a good idea to perform this after each day of driving.
    Depress both arrow buttons with the transmission in N (neutral) at normal idle speed.
    Here's some codes for everyone..........
    OL,OK - oil level is OK
    OL,LO,01 - oil level is low 1 quart - 02 is 2 quarts,etc.
    OL,HI,01 - oil level is high 1 quart - 02 would be high 2 quarts, etc.
    0X - settling time too short
    50 - Engine rpm too low
    59 - Engine rpm too high
    65- Neutral must be selected
    70 - Sump fluid temp too low
    79 - Sump fluid temp too high
    89 - output shaft rotation
    95 - sensor failure

Here's an example of what you might see if you tried this without warming up your trans oil first - OL,70