Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paranoia or What?

Default Paranoia or What?

Have you noticed any increased hostility toward Buses?

I was thinking, tagging onto Jon's 'Dashcam' thread, that with the current activity in the UK that some of that may spill over to the 'Rich People' driving those million dollar coaches here in the USA.

I don't intend giving those types any credit for original thought but, 'copy cat' might be the case. The current attitude in DC seems to also foster the 'Haves vs the Have Nots'.

I'll stop before I step on someones toes.

Larry,

You make an excellent point. To think that the level of civil unrest that is plaguing other parts of world can't happen here is being naive.

One thing in our favor is that local law enforcement in the United States is generally not as passive as it is in England. England is learning a tough lesson.

Additionally, U.S. citizens in many states have not been stripped of their ability to defend their lives against criminals and thugs, which might give some of these types reason to pause before going on a rampage of this scale.

It does make sense, however, to be ever vigilant in being aware of your surroundings and observant of those in your immediate vicinity. Don't place yourself or your family at unnecessary risk.

Not paranoid, not afraid to enjoy our lifestyle....... just prepared.

Larry,

To us the issue is not political, although the apparent class warfare may be an influence.

When we got "Classy Chassis" our first bus driving it on the highways was a lot of fun. First, there were very few conversions relative to the numbers on the road today, and most of those were entertainers. So as a result the people in cars passing us were smiling in their attempt to see Garth Brooks or Willy Nelson behind the wheel. The truckers used their CBs to ask if we had a band on board.

But even if we were not drawing attention because of the bus being new and shiny and obviously expensive, it seemed the drivers were more courteous. The CB talk was more civil. People just did not seem to be as nasty as much as we see today. I have no proof people are more nasty other than what I sense in my gut. I do know Di gives people the finger more today than she ever did.

Di and I disagree on the hostility. She is of the opinion we get cut off or tailgated, or find people playing with us because we are a Prevost. I contend the bus has nothing to do with it, and when we are in our cars I point out the same rudeness we see in the bus is happening on the highways to cars, trucks, and other vehicles. Some of it i attribute to cell phones which were not as prevalent as they are today. People are not pulling stupid tricks to be mean or rude. they are just unaware of their surroundings as they screw around with their smart phones or are texting. But another part of the problem is a general loss of respect for others. It seems to me as a society we have an "entitlement" attitude and if cars are merging on a busy highway they all seem to think they have the right to just merge into your lane and you are supposed to brake for them or move over.

I doubt if we can stop what appears to be a loss of courtesy. I now enter the coach with the lowest of expectations about other drivers giving me a break, or showing me any courtesy, and I try to be numb to incidents that would have previously pissed me off. And to protect us from a future problem I do keep the dash cam on as long as the coach is in motion. I am not going to stay home so I just have to accept the other drivers for how they are although I really would like a cannon on the front of the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    It seems to me as a society we have an "entitlement" attitude and if cars are merging on a busy highway they all seem to think they have the right to just merge into your lane and you are supposed to brake for them or move over.

I doubt if we can stop what appears to be a loss of courtesy. I now enter the coach with the lowest of expectations about other drivers giving me a break, or showing me any courtesy, and I try to be numb to incidents that would have previously pissed me off.
    Well, first, we ARE supposed to make room for them. It really ticks me off when someone won't do it for me when I am the one merging. One of the reasons I believe we still need big engines in our cars.

The loss of courtesy is palpable. In Italy I noticed that the drivers all worked together. There's be 4 lanes of traffic in 3 lanes of space with scooters and motorcycles moving between the rows of cars when they stopped for lights. No one cared, no one got angry. Try that here and someone will for SURE run your a$$ into the car in the other lane or make you a speed bump!

Usually I am more than happy to move over for merging traffic. but sometimes the people next to me that I shove into the median get a little testy.

But merging is just a single example of lack of courtesy, stupidity, or inattention. Any one got a cannon for sale?

You touched on the easy one, Jon. No one wants to hit their brakes, especially me. When I have the cruise on, I expect you to use that merge lane to get up to speed. Now, if you insist on hovering at 30 mph, then no, I won't feel the need to brake for you, but I may speed up to get past you and give you the opportunity to get in behind me.

I used to think it was the polished stainless that attracted all the wacky drivers toward the bus.... kinda like moths to a light

The wackos are not just on the road, they hold public office! I just heard that the super committee determined the cheapest place to meet was in Hawaii, and they will be gathering in a week early just to get their sh$t together. Talk about saving tax dollars!

It's no wonder we encounter idiots on the road, but I am with Jon -I ain't staying home.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Jon: I don't want a cannon in front, I want a couple of mini-guns front and back. I like the sound they make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
    You touched on the easy one, Jon. No one wants to hit their brakes, especially me. When I have the cruise on, I expect you to use that merge lane to get up to speed. Now, if you insist on hovering at 30 mph, then no, I won't feel the need to brake for you, but I may speed up to get past you and give you the opportunity to get in behind me.
    Sounds like you are willing to work with merging traffic. I'm not. Let me make that real clear so there is no misunderstanding. If I have room to move over without having to accelerate, brake or take it from cruise control I will. But if moving over is not an option. I am not braking, accelerating or taking it out of cruise control. Paint me as discourteous if you like, but I have reasons for my position on this.

First, I have to consider the people behind me if I intend to brake. What right do I have to inconvenience them? If there is nobody behind me then it is the responsibility of the merging traffic to recognize that once I am past they have the road to themselves. Since I don't know what the merging traffic is going to do it is foolish and maybe dangerous for me to adjust my speed. I have the the right of way and as long as my speed is constant the merging traffic can do what they deem necessary to accelerate to get in front of me or to delay acceleration to fall in behind. If we are both speeding up or slowing down then neither of us knows what the other is doing.

I will always try to anticipate how I am going to deal with merging truck traffic. Unlike in a car the operator cannot stand on the accelerator and see changes in the rate of acceleration. So if a truck is merging I am scanning my mirrors to determine the best course of action for us both. Sometimes a merging truck can be accomodated, sometimes not. But I will not grossly change speeds to help merging truck traffic unless it is the only option. The merging traffic has to yield. We on the right of way have no obligation.

You cannot help people who have no clue about merging. They are terminally stupid and if you think you are being a nice guy by trying to help them you haven't taught them how to fish, you have only fed them for the day. They outnumber you. And right now I think the stupid ones are winning.