Thread: electric reel is out

Default electric reel is out

Hi: we are now full timer since may and loving it.
    i spent my night reading the Pog site and devoring every bits of information.
    it gives me the satisfaction of not being alone in this world of big machines.
    i have a question for a technical problem,
    my electric reel is out, wont reel in.
    it got stuck for a second while reeling in (a fuse most have blowned)
    but where, i dont know.

we have a 1999 liberty coach, Lady Classic Cartier edition with now 58,000 miles
    any idea where is that fuse or else: ?????

If you have the Liberty manual it should be in there,Jon will be on here soon and he can answer.The motors on the cord reels are not very robust and you might have to replace it.

Hi Jacques & Sylvia. Welcome to POG. The best site for Prevost owners. if you have no power at the switch for your cord reel, the fuse may have gone out. This could be caused by too much drag on your cord. Make sure you feed the cord in and not let it pull the cord onto the reel. Most of my fuses are located Port side, 2nd bay, with the inverters. or, check breakers above the engine in the relay/breaker box.
    Or breakers at Port side drivers door.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jacques, welcome to POG.

After you replace the fuse, you might want to make sure that your cord is not twisted. A twisted cord can cause your motor to bind up and burn another fuse.

That happened to me and untwisting the cord solved the problem.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

You may also look in the electrical panel located immediately below the drivers side window. There are many breakers in that panel that may flipped. Good luck.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

I had this same issue last fall and as mentioned in an earlier post, check for a blown fuse in the second bay. I replaced the fuse with a circuit breaker, allowing me limited use without replacing the fuse every time the hose reel was used. I ordered a new motor from the manufacturer via their 800 number and as I recall the motor cost in the range of $75US and arrived via UPS within a couple of days of placing my order.
    When the motor finally gave out, I was able to manually feed the cable in/out until we were able to get home. This was an easy repair.
    Last edited by Orren Zook; 08-07-2011 at 04:52 AM.

What Orren said. Just verify by pushing and pulling the cord in and out that there is nothing binding. If you have the Liberty manual for your coach it will list the circuit for the cord reel and then just find the fuse or breaker in the electrical compartment. If you do not have a manual let us know and while we may not have your exact model or year Liberty it is likely the circuit numbers are the same.

What Gary said about helping the reel by feeding the cord into it is good advice. Making it do all the work increases the load on the motor. I use one hand with a cloth to wipe the cord as it is being fed in by the other hand. It just makes it easier on the motor.

I also use Jon's method of wiping down the shore cord with a cloth as I feed the cord in with the other hand. My intention is to keep as much sand and moisture out of the feed rollers as possible.

I was also advised to avoid letting the motor feed the cord either all the way in or all the way out until it stops on its own, but to rather manually assist the cord and to shut the motor either off manually before the motor reached its limits.

On my Liberty, you have to access the shore cord motor and coil via the OTR bay and, in my case, it's not an overly difficult job.

Good luck with your repair.

The cord reel circuit # on my coach is #39 for the fuse. It is likely the same on yours.

Bonne chance.

Thank you all for the good info. I went through somewhat a hundred fuses and I found 2 that were bad. The problem is fix and yes Mr. Lee #39 was the winning number. I am glad that with this (prevost brotherhood) i will be able to stay ahead of this sophisticated machine.
    thanks again.