Thread: Economy and the Government

Threaded View

Default Economy and the Government

In light of current events, and some of the phrases being thrown around by our politicians, I was just curious what the wealthy think about all this. Being in the financial minority here, my point of view is not likely going to be shared by many. I'm not trying to stir the pot or earn enemies, just curious. (and maybe a little venting)

I keep hearing the phrase 'redistribution', and I don't like it, smacks of communism. The phrase I hear that I like is 'fair share', and it's this one I'll elaborate on.

If it were up to me, I'd either A) get rid of income tax altogether, and increase purchase taxes, or B) institute a flat rate income tax, that all would pay, no matter your income. So let's say 10%, whether you made 50k or 5m, you pay 10%, no deductions, no shelters, no BS. Businesses the same, take your income, minus your operating expenses, and 10% of your profit goes to Uncle Sam.

Welfare and social security (disability kind), no more free rides. If you are legitimately disabled, fine, you get SS, and welfare is no longer a free ride. Let's make it a work program, with conditions of employment: regular drug tests, mandatory birth control, and you WILL do something productive for society. If someone doesn't agree to the terms, fine, then go GET A JOB!

Medicare: Thankfully I haven't had the need for much in this vein. I do believe that the co-pay should be higher for higher incomes. Of course, one would expect that those with higher incomes would and could afford better insurance, and that would take care of the problem.

Lastly, let's make hypocrisy a crime. I.E. Immelt’s new position at the helm of Obama’s “Council on Jobs and Competitivenes" while shedding US jobs and employing the Chinese. Oh, and GE not only NOT paying taxes, but taking stimulus and bailout from the tax payers?

I guess I'm just frustrated as I expect everyone else is, but I don't have any outlets, so I thought I'd vent here where I can get some intelligent feedback, or co-misery.
    Last edited by Yankee802; 07-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.