Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New or Newer Coach Questions

Perhaps the venerated 8V92T will enjoy a resurgence if for no other reason simplicity?

While new and shiny has a great appeal, especially when combined with adaptive braking, multiplex and some other new features we have to balance the good with the bad. I know exactly what I have right now. I know how to fix it when it breaks, I know how to keep it running like a new coach, and the Liberty build quality and systems set the standard as far as I am concerned.

What is tempting about a new coach is I would get to spec it to suit what we want. Almost. I could get my bus air, choice of floor plan, and most appealing the newest Prevost systems which I really like. But I am concerned about getting it up and in my garage. That long wheel base on the X3-45 could be an issue. Raising the coach to get ground clearance might be all it takes, but that is going to impact what awnings we choose and if we have to use Cruise Airs on a coach with compromised bay space. Roof airs have a lot of appeal and the only drawback we see is noise. We cannot get long range fuel on the new shells. To those who are used to the standard tanks it may not be a big deal, but my 298 gallons minimizes having to visit truck stops, and with rare exception all of our trips are one tank trips with only refueling when we get home.

As appealing as slides are I am still wrestling with the concept of having seals as a maintenance item. I also not only like rivets because my sides aren't falling off, but also because reskinning is cheap and easy. Our list of pros and cons is going to be very long.

When we decide what we are going to do, if we do anything, the question we will be asking and answering is what is it we will get for our money and is the improvement worth that amount of money? We realize buying a coach makes no sense and we will not attempt to rationalize it by kidding ourselves. We will instead be asking would we rather have our money or a new coach.

Jon,
    I've never known anyone to "take it with them". If you want a new bus get it, life is too short so enjoy it while you are able to. When I sold my funeral home at age 62 people said to me,"why did you retire, you are young and healthy". My response was "because I am young and healthy".

Enjoy your new ride!

Sounds like you have this pretty well thought out, Jon.

I'm a firm believer in going with what makes you two happiest.... whatever brings you the most enjoyment out of life. From a personal observation, I believe that if you decide to purchase a new bus, you will at least use it.

I know someone here that bought a brand-spanking-new bus a year ago. Parked it and promptly left for his condo for a couple of weeks.

If I had a brand new bus, you probably couldn't pry me out of it for weeks! I can't imagine the excitement and wanting to get to know every inch, every facet and nuance.

Good luck with your decision...

Jon -

I have to agree with the comment that you are not going to take it with you and from the looks of Washington they might just come and get what you have and redistribute it!

As for your questions: I have a two slide 2006 Marathon which I ordered with what we wanted in a coach and it is going on 5 years 5 months since delivery. Average mileage runs around 6.5, max of 7.1 on long, level runs. No problems with the slides and I still have the original seals. No delamination issues with either the sides or windows. Four Girard awnings work fine as have the power shades. IFS hasn't had any issues and I enjoy the turning radius. I would second Kevin's comment on the view from the larger windows. As for service, both Prevost DFW and Marathon have been top notch for me.

Your daughter is launched in the business and it appears your marriage is stable--go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Through the years I have seen many would-be owners begin and go through the process of deciding what coach is best for them. While I think we can all agree the appearance is probably a very big part of the equation, and we know a buyer's budget dictates an age range, I wonder if moving up has its benefits.

Our 1987 Liberty was a great coach and we had no intention of getting a new or newer one. A fire which took it out of service for 9 months was all the inspiration we needed to buy our current coach and the improvements in the 10 year newer coach was significant. We got 5 feet more space, better fuel mileage, much greater range, user friendly systems, better fit and finish, and little improvements throughout that in total added up to a much more enjoyable coach.

While I think our vintage coach is in the "sweet" spot (for us anyway) because the chassis is a proven rivet model with an economical engine, easy repairs, proven systems, and less technical complexity I still find myself looking at newer models whose interior and exterior appearances are very desirable. So here are some questions for the brain trust (as this group has been called on occasion) relating primarily to the XLII:

For coaches newer than 2004, what mileage are you getting?
    The guys in the know over on the Detroit forum, www.dieselenginetrader.com, say that the EGR equipped S60's lose about 5% fuel mileage over the none EGR engines. 7.0 mpg becomes 6.65 mpg.

Jon, my experience may be a bit different in that for the past few winters I would work with Parliament during the show season which afforded me the opportunity to drive a lot of different Prevosts, XL-II's and H's, and most between 04's and 08's. The converters included Parliament, Vantare, Legendary and Liberty. The thing I noticed more than anything else was, regardless of who did the conversion, was that the shell seemed to be built "cheaper". Lighter gauge stainless, more plastic pieces, less robust, all for the purpose of reducing overall weight, and therefore, improving or maintaining fuel mileage. None of these coaches had the performance and response that my 97 Royale has, and I don't really think they ride that much better. That being said, a 2004 H3-45 two slide, was the smoothest thing I've ever driven, but you didn't really feel that connected to the road.
    I believe our vintage Prevosts are virtually bullet proof and I don't believe you can say that about the newer models. One man's opinion.

I think that Steve is right on target,but the WOW factor of a new coach is in a league of its own,I am waiting to see how the D13 fares and I might be interested in a new coach if it doesn't have a Kohler generator.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I think that Steve is right on target,but the WOW factor of a new coach is in a league of its own,I am waiting to see how the D13 fares and I might be interested in a new coach if it doesn't have a Kohler generator.

I would be the first to admit that the WOW factor is hard to beat. On the other hand, so is No Note!

Jon,
    We all know how you can fix our coaches when they break. But very few know you are now a factory trained technician on the new coaches with multiplex, adaptive braking and other fancy stuff. Do your really want shinny without rivets or are you just itching to try your new talents?