Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 AMP Service at home... HELP.

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I have a question,at most of the primary electrical panels the neutral and ground are not bonded but if there is a second panel aren't the neutral and ground bonded?
    There is no consistency on this issue. Local codes often cite the National Electric Code, but then include their own pecularities, one of them being some jurisdictions require bonded neutrals and others require them to be separate from the ground. All shore power outlet boxes certified to UL231 for Temporary Power are supplied with a provision for bonding the neutral, but it is never connected. That is the responsibility of the local electrician depending on code. FWIW I have a power outlet box next to the coach in my garage and the neutral is not bonded and the installation was inspected and got the blue tag.

Jon,There are several locations that I go to each year and I have to snap in a breaker and wire the ground and neutral,all of them have a bonded neutral/ground is there any reason to be concerned about this with the coach.

Dedicated 100 amp service to his garage, separate from the house Lok Nest. You must think I'm from Georgia!

Jack, I don't think there is any concern since people are wiring the shore power outlets both ways.

Thanks Jon,I thought that was the case and I have never had a problem but you never know what might happen if you don't ask.

If you just need a temp. 50 amp hook up, and not a permanat installation, I would suggest calling a equipment rental company. Ask for a 50 amp cord, 50 feet or more, and a 50 amp pig tail, if they have it. Then just purchase the 50 amp outlet. Call a Licensed electrician and have him do the temp install. Or just ask the Electrical contractor if he has the cord and equip. and rent for the time . Shoud be much cheaper than a permanant install w/ permits, trenching, etc.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Hi Jack. In my area, at the main service, the ground and the nuetral are combined at one terminations or are bonded together. At sub-pnls and outlets at detached bldgs away from the main service, the nuetrall and grounds are terminated on seperate bus bars. In those cases, typically there willl be a seperate ground rod, and / or water ground.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by jack14r View Post
    I have a question,at most of the primary electrical panels the neutral and ground are not bonded but if there is a second panel aren't the neutral and ground bonded?
    Per the NEC, the Service Entrance Panel (or main breaker panel after the meter) has the ground bar run to an earth ground rod, and all the neutrals and grounds are together on the same bus bar in this panel. EVERYWHERE else, they are kept separate/isolated, thus the "ground" or bare wire from there on out is NOT a "current carrying conductor." The white/neutral wire IS however a current carrying conductor, and will not be at the same potention as earth ground.
    Hope that helps.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL