Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 AMP Service at home... HELP.

Default 50 AMP Service at home... HELP.

We are visiting my brother in Maine next week, and would love to park at his house. We decided to have installed a 50amp service box for the coach (or anyones coach) at his house... a little more expensive than just going to an RV park, but the convenience of family being together seems worth it for us.

Run should be no more than 75 feet + our chord, and dont need a "pole" at the coach. More like an extension box from the breaker box that can run to us while we are there.

What I am looking for from you electrical "geeky" types is this:

1) A materials list that I can purchase prior to arrival, (hopefully at Homedepot)

2) Simple instructions for an electrician, so he doesnt blow up my bus, or set my brothers house on fire.

Myles? Jon? Truk? ANYONE?

Thanks a ton!

Curtis, Christine and Augie (and eventually my brother David).

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Click on the navigation bar on left for 50 amp service info.

First off, I am NOT an electrician, so please take my comments as meaningful only as to what my personal experience has been.

There are two things that must be made clear to your electrician, and whatever you install, it MUST be up to code, not only the national code, but your local standards as well.

First, although the ends of our power cords "look" like a typical household 240 v dryer or electric range connection THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. You are actually installing 2 - 50 amp, 120v lines.

Second, in a typical motorhome connection, the neutral and ground buss bars ARE NOT THE SAME and are not connected as they are in your typical home electrical panel. In most RV pedestals I've seen, they simply break the connection into 2 separate bars.

Just make sure your electrician understands that a 50 amp RV connection is not overly complicated but is kind of unique. Hopefully you will find one that has experience along these lines.

Good luck with your installation. It is not really a major undertaking, but there are a couple of differences that should be considered at the beginning of the job.

Hopefully another Pogger will chime in here with a more detailed description of the 50 amp wiring requirements....

Curtis,

I just did this last week at my brother-in-laws place in NY. Got a 50 amp recpticle and box at Lowes and he already had piece of 4 wire and a 50 amp breaker. Just be sure the electrican understands you need 4 wire.
    Gary D is the expert.

Excellent info, Ray...

Thanks...

WOW! That was fast! Thanks all.... Ray, the website link you shared is perfect. Printed the page for the electrician, has all the info I need.

Thanks again!
    Curtis

www.jamestownadvanced.com

Full disclosure...I used to own this company and my daughter does now. They will have a surface mount or pedestal box in whatever receptacle configuration you need and should be comptetive with Lowes or any other big box store. They actually make them and label them as another company's product so if you do buy at Lowes or Home Depot you may be buying their box anyway.

The electrician just needs to know how to hook up and the supply from the house needs at least a 50 amp breaker and the supply needs to be #6 wires, larger if the run is longer. A big question is if the local codes need to have a bonded neutral (the electrician should know). I prefer to keep the neutral and ground separate but it is not worth the fight with the local inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    First off, I am NOT an electrician, so please take my comments as meaningful only as to what my personal experience has been.

There are two things that must be made clear to your electrician, and whatever you install, it MUST be up to code, not only the national code, but your local standards as well.

First, although the ends of our power cords "look" like a typical household 240 v dryer or electric range connection THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. You are actually installing 2 - 50 amp, 120v lines.

Second, in a typical motorhome connection, the neutral and ground buss bars ARE NOT THE SAME and are not connected as they are in your typical home electrical panel. In most RV pedestals I've seen, they simply break the connection into 2 separate bars.

Just make sure your electrician understands that a 50 amp RV connection is not overly complicated but is kind of unique. Hopefully you will find one that has experience along these lines.

Good luck with your installation. It is not really a major undertaking, but there are a couple of differences that should be considered at the beginning of the job.

Hopefully another Pogger will chime in here with a more detailed description of the 50 amp wiring requirements....
    I am (was) an EE but old age takes over some times - while at a service installation I saw a compatible 50A socket and bang - blew an inverter, 2 DVD players and scared the h

I have a question,at most of the primary electrical panels the neutral and ground are not bonded but if there is a second panel aren't the neutral and ground bonded?

Be sure that your brother's service that you will tie into has sufficient capacity for his house and your bus. Remember that a 50 amp plug is really 100 amps of power.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston