Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive way slope???

Default Drive way slope???

Hi Fellows and Ladies...

I am a new member to POG and I jus purchased my first conversion its a 2008 Millennium XL (2007 Shell)...

I am in the process of building it a home and would like to solicite ya'lls knowledge of how much of a drop per foot on the slab leading up to the 14 x 14 door to its house as I want to park it outside fully hooked up. I ask this because I dont want the nose too hi and the coach to be able to level also.At present we plan a quarter in. drop per foot that will be a 10.5 in. drop at 45 feet the length of coach...My builder says he cant gurantee no ponding with less of a drop... Thoughts please???

GregS

Welcome aboard Greg, it will be the best 50 bucks you ever spent.

I don't quite follow what your trying to do with the slab, so maybe someone else will jump in here. What is "ponding?"

A quarter inch per foot is typical of sidewalk cross slope, so you can imagine what that would be like. It is certainly minimal as most sidewalk appears "level" to most folks if built to these standards.

Also, a quarter inch per foot should give you adequate drainage without annoying "bird baths" being formed when wet.Good luck with your project and congratulations on your bus!

Your real slope for leveling is not 10.5 but rather the length of you wheel base from center of front to center of drives x 1/4 inch per foot. This will give you a shorter height for leveling. With the drop on one axel and the lift on the other you should be able to do this. You could go to a level area, drop the rear raise the front and measure the distance from the ground to bottom of wheel well trim front and back, the difference would need to greater than the slope to be able to level. Hope this helps.

Greg, Welcome! when I built my barn I used 1/4" slope to the center of the slab and have two floor drains, I have no ponding of water, The drains are six inch each, I sometimes rinse my bus off in the barn, outside I just have gravel, Wish I would have built a pit, something you might consider!

GregS,

Welcome to POG.

I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in the vicinity of Knoxville, TN you need to go to Jon Wehrenberg's house.

If you want to see a steep sloped driveway - look no further. You have found the mother-load!

I would say that he has a 5" drop per foot or maybe a little more. You really need to see it for yourself, its worth the trip!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

80 foot drop in 285 feet of length. I have no standing water after a rain. My driveway is used for air brake system tests.

The 1/4" per foot slope is standard and in the length of our wheelbases we would have no trouble leveling the coach. While that might be the standard for plumbing I seriously doubt we would need anywhere near that slope on a driveway. If there is any concern about water flowing back into a garage just use a trench drain in front of the doors to catch anything that might enter.

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    GregS,

Welcome to POG.

I don't know where you live, but if you are ever in the vicinity of Knoxville, TN you need to go to Jon Wehrenberg's house.

If you want to see a steep sloped driveway - look no further. You have found the mother-load!

I would say that he has a 5" drop per foot or maybe a little more. You really need to see it for yourself, its worth the trip!
    Tuga - you were sort of close! Based on Jon's numbers of an 80 foot drop in 285 feet, his average drop is actually just a hair over 3 1/3 inches per foot.

Since a number of you have climbed the mountain to Casa Del Grease Pit you are aware I don't have much problem with puddles of water on the driveway. I think my slope might be a little extreme. At Prevost Nashville this week I noted that most of their concrete apron around the shop had slopes that were likely around the 1/4" per foot and I had no trouble leveling the coach. I don't think it was necessary but I can see with a heavy downpour it might be needed to keep the water that can be collected on the thousands of square feet of concrete from entering the building.

Jon, Your driveway reminds me of a ski jump, The new rage is going down a steep hill and crossing some water, in your case a river The only problem you would have is "hope like hell no cars are coming"