Thread: Liberty owners take note...

Default Liberty owners take note...

As your bus approaches the 10 year mark, if you haven't yet started changing out your hoses, it's probably a good idea to start.

This picture is of a hose that Liberty Coach typically installs to feed engine coolant to the hot water heater jacket. This hose is approximately 10 feet long, originates at a quarter-turn ball valve on the engine (left side), runs up over the drive axle and terminates at a copper pipe in the general area above the right rear tag axle.

Should this hose fail, it is not a convenient fix. As you can see, once I put a little pressure on the hose the dry rot cracking is quite evident. I'm assuming that all of the original hoses (other than the silicone ones) are in similar condition. This particular hose is in a prime location to roast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Exclamation

Thanks for the tip Paul, looks like another project coming up. You going to Silicone hose?

JIM

Jim,

I could only find silicone hose in 3 foot lengths without a special order. So, rather than deal with a bunch of spliced connections, I replaced this hose with original material, which is marine grade reinforced exhaust hose. I expect to get another 10 years out of this replacement.

While I was at it, the coolant (and filter) got replaced too...

Question

Paul, found this hose at McMaster Carr, is the correct size in the list?

See second item, High temp coolant hose, comes by the foot to 12' long.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#radiator-hose/=d6eew3

JIM

Looks good to me, Jim. My original was the green stripe hose....

Paul ,
    How deep were the cracks as seen in your picture ? I see a heat blanket near the hose. Normally the outside finish is mostly cosmetic on the heavy duty hose, A thin wrap to give it a good look. The inner compounding rubber types make up the heavy duty service for application needed.
    Don't get me wrong if I saw cracks replacement is in order. Smooth outside finish helps when installing through tubes etc.

Replaced all of the coolant hose with silicone over this past easter. A big job but well worth it. The feeling of confidence in the system is appreciated. It took three long days and lots of cuts and bruises on my arms. IMPORTANT... ensure you use the correct clamps... at a minimum, lined barrel clamps or t-clamps. No problem in purchasing lengths of silicone hose through Green Line Hose (here in Canada) 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 1" and 2". the project just wasn't the engine but included all coolant hoses in the Wabasto system.

I getting there with my vintage of coach...... last year all new air springs & norgren valves (most), this year the coolant lines and all eight tires.

Once I stressed the hose by bending it, the cracks were close to 1/32" deep.

It was a real eye opener. Prior to bending it, this hose looked "fine".

In the event of failure, I believe this hose in particular, on my bus, could be isolated to stop the leak. But the resultant discharge of coolant wouldn't be pleasant to deal with, especially if it occurred on the road...... at night.....in the rain.....

Here is another thread worth revisiting. Liberty have this gates green stripe hose all over them.

Since I lead Paul to this on his I've replaced similar hoses on another 2 liberty 1 in a drive preventive and another on the road.

These r also the same for the flexible coolant hoses in the generator bay.

My hose of choice for this application is Goodyear Hi-Miler heater hose. Check its temperature range and burst pressure. Truck parts places will often sell it by the foot. Otherwise it's sold in 6-foot or 50-foot rolls.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion