Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stands

I am thinking the 3 port valve that separates the drives and tag is stuck the the 3 bag position. Or do you think we are dealing with the 5 ports on the bulkhead? I hear the air escaping back by the two 3 port valves.

Internet diagnosis is difficult because normally when solving issues we use all our senses. On the internet we lose the ability to hear, see, touch and smell so all answers have to be treated as shots in the dark. I will answer the question with some assumptions.

I am assuming the 3 port valves have some age on them and I am assuming the air system has had some internal moisture. That leads me to believe there is likely no one single problem but a probable comination of problems which will make a solution and answer suspect. If the aux air system has in fact retained moisture the valves can have internal corrosion which will not only make them leak, but will in all probability prevent the spools from sliding when pneumatic or spring pressure is applied. As a result the three port valves between the drive and tag can be exhausing air, but the corresponding 5 port valves and the three port exhaust valve in the steer compartment can also be failing or failed in the same manner.

The net result is even if the 3 port valves in the rear are replaced, the other valves are in the same condition and you can experience inconsistent problems until the entire system is repaired. I know from seeing valves that have been removed from coaches that internal moisture will ultimately bind up a valve and when that happens a problem diagnosis almost requires a step by step examination of every valve and device in the system, starting with verifying there is power to the solenoid coil on the mainfold, and then following the air flow from the solenoids to the pneumatic operators and then to and from each valve.

While the ride height valves (not to be confused with the Norgrens) are very reliable, they not only can be leaking also, it is entirely possible one or more can be receiving air from the five port valves because those valves are not functioning correctly. I found this condition on Michael's coach and even though he had properly maintained his air system, the previous owner had not and the internal damage was widespread necessitating all new valves. In diagnosing Michael's coach suspension problems several things did not make sense because the valves just were not doing what they were supposed to do.

My recommendation is take any suspect valve apart (you will likely break the screw heads off due to age and corrosion) and if you see any evidence of white corrosion assume every single Norgren, all ride height valves and all solenoid valves need to be replaced and the entire air system needs to be dried out. A poorly maintained air system is not only going to get moisture in it, but it is possible oil from the air compressor has also made it past the air dryer and wet tank and is also adding to the crud within the valves.

Lightbulb

Greg, ZERO out the air system with all new at one time. That will likely last your lifetime.

If after that you are still inclined, take your old valves apart to inspect and clean and rebuild and you might find one or two that you can save for spares. (I find this can be fun and interesting but truly not worth the time)

IMHO don't contaminate your new equipment by mixing with old.

Don't forget, "pay me now or pay me later, but your going to pay"

JIM

Thanks Guys
    I'll get on it