Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan Gearbox - Don't Forget to Service

Steve - Mine is the same way, I thought maybe you could rotate the cover and move the dipstick but that didn't work on mine... As long as it's not leaking you don't need the dipstick!!

I think my setup is original to the coach but my exhaust off the turbo angles down toward to front of the engine compartment, right over the gearbox. Seems like a bad idea to put all that heat so close to the gearbox. Replaced the muffler while I had space to do it from the top too and believe it was original to the coach as well. Mine still has the heavy steel fan and after learning just how much it weighs, that fan upgrade sounds like a great idea. Looking at the parts manual it looks to be a fairly simple hub change on the gearbox to do the changeout.

Good point on the dipstick. I can often be counted on to overlook the obvious.

Steve Rowe
    90 Royale XL

I was looking at that and wondering.... now I know the oil should be drained and replaced!

If u don't see a rebuild in the service records u need to get it apart and rebuilt not just serviced.

Take the belt off and check for play in the shaft. Look see if there is a ring dancing around on the shaft between the back of the pully and the case indicating the outer bearing close to death.

U should see a grease fitting on yours and the service intervals for it is daily.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    13 Speed Roadranger
    No Norgrens

1 day on paper no machines