Thread: Lew's Axle

Jeffery Raymond Guest

Default Lew's Axle

We're trying to post Lew's pics...here's the first one (attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm going to stick my neck out here and without anything more to go on than that single picture I would suggest that was precipitated by a bearing failure, quite possibly due to lack of lubrication. Lew, if I am right, whoever has been maintaining the coach may have to write you a check.

If I'm wrong I will post some of the embarassment thingeys.

This is what the end of the drive axle should look like.

lewpopp Guest

no question about the fact of no lubrication. I asked service manager about adding gear oil, he said they only lost a little bit. I know i lost some prior to that. It cost them a mint. Heres a couple more Pics.

Lew, I obviously am shooting from the lip, but if you compare the picture of your failed axle the one thing that should stand out compared to the one I posted is the dry rust. That is indicative of what happens to rotating parts such as the universal joints or bearings might exhibit due to a lack of grease or gear oil.

If you lok at the picture I posted the metal is shiny and not discolored. That is because a properly filled differential will allow gear oil to reach the pair of bearings on the end of the axle shaft. That oil will be slung around not only lubricating the bearings, but it will prevent the oxidation and heat exhibited by your axle shaft.

If that is the condition at what appears to be the RH side of your drive axle I urge you to verify that when your coach was repaired, the technician pulled the axle on the other side and inspected the bearings there as well. My sense of urgency is motivated by the fact that due to the crown in highways, the passenger side is likely to have the oil in the differential housing shift more to the curbside than the street side.

Obviously I would also expect the differential oil would have been drained, the system flushed and filled to capacity.

I stand by my original supposition that whoever was maintaining the coach failed to check the differential, and if that is the case your hubs on the steer and tag haven't been checked either.

lewpopp Guest

I know for a fact that the reason the axil failed was due to the lack of lubrication.

I am now concerned about the condition of the opposite side.

I was concentrating so much on the right side I completely forgot about the left. another sleepless period. I am 200 miles from the perpetrator and care a lot about looking into the possibility of left failure.

The differential was drained, I expect flushed, and refilled.
    After the whole thing was put together, I insisted that they check the level of the diff. They added 2 quarts thru the end of the shaft from outside and that brought it up to the proper level. I guess I should crawl under and check it myself.

Lew,

If they did not check the other side bearings you hold then down and we will kick them for you. Shame on them.

I suspect the best money you will spend is to have someone pull your hub on the side that was not checked and very carefully examine the bearings and the bearing races. That will require less than one hour for a competent mechanic. If you see any suggestion of heat damage or any evidence the bearings are not perfect, replace them along with the hub seal.

The whole thing should not involve any more than about three hours of labor total, plus the price of two bearing and races if necesary, and a hub seal.

But do not stop there. Check the hubs on the steer and tag axles and if they are not up to the correct level do the same thing with them. That will eliminate the sleepless periods.

Look at the manual sections that have been posted, especially about hub seals to see exactly what is involved. It is not a big deal.