Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorhoming - How many years and in what?

Tom Tom:

I notice that you were not picking on Liberty folks until you got some reinforcements. Ya all might want to be carefull because your back-up might not be willing to pick fights with us bling boys.

Default More Maintenance For Liberty

I do believe more Maintenance for my Liberty is in direct porportion to the usage. Due to the frequent useage and fondness I have for my Liberty - it gets a little more than probably necessary, but what the hell, I love it. It don't argue, always glad to see me, likes my freinds, doesn't complain about the way the fuel smells, likes black tires, always ready to go when I am. Even likes the roads.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

A small pop-up in 1973. several years of work, a 33' windcruiser in 1986followed by a 40' marathon in 1992, a 40' liberty in 1996, and currently a 45' liberty since 2005. Loved everypne and have done all maintenance on my own including replacement of pinion seals and holding tanks. None have been a big deal. Can't wait to get back out on the big road again in a few weeks!

Default My first coach

My daughter and I were driving to her in-laws house for Thanksgiving dinner, and we drove by an oilfield service company parking lot. There parked in the lot was what looked like my first coach. We pulled over and after asking permission; we looked around inside. Sure enough, it was my 1987 Newell 40' with the orginal paint, carpet, bedspread, etc. all in very good condition.

The coach had been bought and sold about 3 times since I sold it in 1997. What a great Thanksgiving gift to just stumble upon this MH after 9 years!
    Boy, that coach brought back a lot of memories.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

The total camping scene for us starts well before the motorhomes. I had my first airstream in 1982, a 27ft Overlander International. Chris had a pop-up truck camper and then a Hi Low, followed by a 28ft Excella 1000 Airstream trailer.
    We traded the Excella for the Airstream Cutter diesel trying to stay product loyal. In the end, we tossed it.
    Earlier this summer Airstream announced they are out of the motorhome business. Just as well, motorhome building is not their forte.

We had good luck with Country Coach service, both with Affinity and the XL while Bob Lee was at the helm. We also nurse-maided the service crew, in that we kept an eye on progress or the lack of. We NEVER left the coach, and let any service crew have their way with the coach, that includes Prevost and Marathon, to this day. We find if we are handy to answer questions, or assist them in some small way, the service visit is much more rewarding. This is also what we do when we have service at a CountryCoach or Marathon sanction rally. We get it all fixed most of the time.
    Last edited by Coloradobus; 11-24-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Jim,

Did CountryCoach and Marathon allow you to live in the coach while it was being repaired?

I think that this is great if they did because, like you said, you are right there to answer any questions or give any suggestions. I do this when I bring mine in for service, and it just makes the waiting time pass a little faster and I find that I can learn a great deal from the techs. It also gives you a chance to talk to other owners who are in for service. I have learned more talking to other owners than any other means.

Experience is the best teacher!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

How many years have you been motorhoming? 6.5 years - we are pretty new to this gig.

And what brand did you start out with?
    Motorhome, travel trailer, tent?

2000 - 2002 2000 Fleetwood DP 46,000 miles
    2002 - present 1992 Angola XL 101,000 miles

What were some of the pluses and minuses of each RV?

Fleetwood - great first MH, but after 40K miles it had more rattles than Sweetwater during the rattlesnake roundup and we really disliked the 30 amp service

Prevost - incredible drive with great fit and finish and no rattles. We have done a lot of upgrades and rebuilding, but still wish it had a Series 60 with a six speed and got a little better mileage (5 mph).

Would you like to go back to those days?

Will keep the Prevost and upgrade to an XLII someday when my bride is in a weak moment (probably longer than a moment).

Or are the buses better today!

A better drivetrain, but our does just fine.

Which was your favorite?

The bus hands down.

Hi Jack14r, Welcome to POG. Here is a good place to jump in and say howdy. JIM

Default first Bus

My brother just sent me this pix of my first "bus".

1957 International Harvester Step Van

Totally Stainless Steel Body

I had it outfitted with a fold down bunk, reclineable first class airline seats (from a Connie), wood paneling, carpet, and headphones jacks for all flyers tied into the 8 track. Led Zeppelin all the way.

Owned from 1968 until I gave it to my brother in 1972.

christophershipp.jpg
    photo here on the beach at Long Beach Island, NJ.

Some great memories here - for both my brother and I.

mm
    Last edited by MangoMike; 03-04-2007 at 01:56 PM.

dalej Guest

Mike... you've come a long way baby!