Thread: Fluid/Filter Replacement

Default Fluid/Filter Replacement

The Prevost Owner's and Maintenance Manuals call for Fan Gearbox oil and Power Steering filter replacement every 50K miles or every year which ever comes first. For some reason this has never been recommended to me during a regular Prevost service visit which is one of many reasons Prevost no longer services our bus. Would appreciate any "tips & tricks" in accomplishing same.

Should the fan gearbox be purged of oil by rotating? Is it likely that air would be introduced to the steering system when replacing the filter requiring a bleeding procedure? Is it a good idea to totally replace steering system fluid from time to time? Appreciate any comments, cautions, etc.

I have not changed my gearbox oil. Don't know why, just haven't done it. I check it and it never goes down.

I have changed my power steering filter. I do not remeber the details other than I think the cap on the reservoir came off and the filter was easy to replace. I did not change the fluid which I presume would be an interesting task given the 80 to 100 feet of hose. I do remember the filter looked clean so replacing it has moved way down on the priority list.

If you are looking for Prevost to suggest services listed in the manual you may be waiting a while. The brake chambers are to be an annual event or every 100,000 miles, which ever comes first and I doubt anybody does that. I would rank brake chambers higher on the priority list than gear box oil or power steering filters.

There is no need to bleed the power steering system after a filter change. We have changed our fluid in both the P/S system, and fan. On the P/S I drain the reservoir, fill it back up with fluid, run the engine while moving the steering wheel back & forth. Then I drain & refill, I did this 3 or 4 times, and seemed to get a pretty complete change. (I switched to Royal Purple synthetic P/S fluid, and it is a different color than the ATF normally used). I used a fluid bulb with a small hose on the end to suck out the fan box. Filled & ran, and then repeated the procedure. I believe it got me a close to complete change.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BrianE View Post
    The Prevost Owner's and Maintenance Manuals call for Fan Gearbox oil and Power Steering filter replacement every 50K miles or every year which ever comes first.
    Changed our fan gearbox oil last year.

We ordered the oil from Prevost, one can is enough, and used a hand suction pump with the small hose from Walmart to remove the old fluid.