Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Thanks Chris. The RVND5510 looks nice, and seems to do what I want, except for traffic updates. I also wonder if it is difficult to use as it is a windshield mount. Natalie leaning across me to get it for an update may be a distraction!

The Kenwood is what they recommended at Liberty, but it does not seem to be bus specific. There is already a radio in the bus, so a car GPS doesn't seem that helpful, especially for the massive install prices.

I used DeLorme way back before internet to plan routes from one hospital to another! We even did the laptop in the RV thing once. That lead to one of those "never again" moments, as it lead us down a two track goat path and almost caused a divorce.

Good times, good times!

We have a few differnt Garmin units in our various vehicles. My favorite unit for use in the bus and the tow vehicle is our Garmin 1350T that has the larger screen and lifetime traffic updates included. We have it mounted via suction cup to a heavy friction base that is stable on the bus dash and I just pick it up and move it to the tow vehicle whenever I need it there. No muss, no fuss!

I have had the new Rand McNally 5510 for abut 6 weeks, and have previously used the Garmins. First, yes, it is a windshield mount. But, I have to agree with the other posts that it is a good thing not to put technology in the dash - as it is obsolete before it is installed. What I really like about the 5510 is the ability to load in all of your own shopping lists, pre-pack lists, pre-start lists, set-up-camp lists, break-camp lists, etc. in the actual check-list part of the nav. While most are probably very proficient with what needs to be done with each such step, I am not a full-timer and love the ability to double-check myself, just as in flying a plane. Checklists are helpful and reassuring. It is also nice to be able to have a standard packing and grocery checklist, of the basics, and be able to tote the 5510 around with you, either in the house, shop or grocery store, to make sure you have everything you need / or want. Another plus is the ability to turn of the RV feature and be able to pop it out of the RV and put it in the toad. The way we travel, we know less about where we are than where we are going - so local maps sure helps. I would have to say that the thing I enjoy the most about the 5510 (even more than the height and clearance routing) is that it is constantly telling me the posted speed limit, the speed I am traveling, and the advance warning of speed limit changes and construction zones. There is a reason that Baskin Robbins has so many flavors - but this flavor works for me as a part-timer who is constantly on new roads and in new cities. I would recommend the 5510 for that reason. Plus, my wife is going to navigate and give driving advice from the right seat regardless of whether I have a Rand McNally or a Garmin!
    Jay H (note that Cris is not signing off on this one).
    2006 CC XLII / S2

Ok, Jay, first off....that last line is hilarious!

The check lists thing is VERY helpful to know. They didn't mention it, at least not where I was looking, online. I kind of miss having a checklist like I did in the plane. I still did my walk around in my head, but went through it on paper when I was sitting down. Many times I have lamented the lack of one in the RV.

You mentioned that you used the Garmins, but not what you liked or why you switched. Would you mind?

Do you use traffic on it? I have built in GPS on all cars and really like being able to pull up the traffic en route. Of course, that is satellite traffic, not FM, so I wonder too what the differences are.

Great post, Jay! Thank you.

Thanks, Karl - Humor cures most everything . . . or at least makes it a little more bearable.
    The primary reason I switched from Garmin to the 5510 was that it ws time for a new one, and this unit had a checklist ability and could regularly be plugged into my computer for updates on construction, alternate routes, etc. My hope is that this will delay the principle of obsolescity. There is also a buton on it that allows users to "update" Rand about road conditions or immediate traffic problems, which presumably Rand uses to keep its satellite information as up-to-date a possible. Unlike my dash system, you can change a route in motion, and it has a really neat "explore" feature which will plan a fun trip to your destination and point out neat things you should stop and see if you are on a casual trip. Please note that I do not work for Rand - rather just subconsciously trying to justify my decision to purchase the 5510. Oh, I also like to change the "Voice" language to French or Spanish,and turn it up, just to keep things interesting in a new city.
    Good luck and good travels.
    Jay
    2006 CC LXII S/2

For What it's worth here....We have the Garmin Nuvi 660. I just went to update it (I have the lifetime update) and it told me that it would take 5GB to complete the update on my computer. Needless to say, I stopped the process due to my old computer here not having the room. (Maybe my new MAC, when I get it) will handle it.
    Does this sound normal to anyone who has the Garmin that is almost like mine?
    Also, I have found that the Garmin isn't that computer friendly.
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

Sandy,

I also have the Nuvi 660 (although I am now using the 465T) and the update sounds about right.

The last time I updated my 660 it took several hours to download. The good news is that there were no glitches and it all worked out OK.

Good luck ....

Default Garmin 650Nuvi

Sandy, I just upgraded my 650 today, but before I let it take Canada and Mexico, I nixed that and told it to just download the "lower 49" (Hmmm did Obama count them?) but anyway, it still took over 1 hr but I just followed the prompts and had no problems. I have the "for life" upadates but now on their website it is telling you/me that some of the future updates may not work with out of date equipment....Don't like the sound of that. I wonder just how many changes I got this time? I especially like the Garmin for manuvering around strange towns or as I said before helping me to find the car in large parking lots! It is not the easiest to plan a trip with.

Thank you for replying. Will see how things go with this. We don't use ours in planning trips but only when needing to find certain addresses. Still in the "back then" stages of life.
    I know that 5GB is alot and just said, "Woooooooo!". Thanks again for the help.
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES