Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS

Default GPS

I don't want a stick on the dash GPS, I want in dash as part of a head unit. Robin at Liberty suggests the KVT 696 and KNA G610. I can find for much less than they want, but the bigger issue is that this appears to be a regular automobile GPS.

I know there are GPS units for trucks and busses. What are you guys using?

Whatever you get it needs to be upgraded frequently so consider if you really want in in-dash unit. Roads are changing all the time. It is bad enough to have bitching betty send you down the wrong street when you are in a car. Now consider heading down the wrong street in a bus with a toad attached so you cannot back up. Whatever you decide make sure you can install updates.

Also I have found with electronics they are out of date about a week after you buy one, and if something goes wrong with it it is cheaper to puy a new one. If you doubt me pick any electronic device you have that is more than a year old and see if you can get it repaired. Then consider if you can get a drop-in replacement that perfectly fits the hole in your dash.

I'm using a Garmin that also gives traffic reports and it will alter the route automatically to take me around a traffic tie-up. I don't know the model number. Prior to that I was using a Garmin 396 which I could overlay XM radar weather over the route so I could anticipate weather. I used the 396 in the plane and it was neat having aviation weather capability in the bus.

Garmin does make one that is for trucks. You can program in your length-width-height etc and it will for the most part keep you out of trouble. I have one and it does a pretty good job. You can also take it off truck mode to car mode which eliminates the restrictions. I believe its a 495T BUT AM NOT NEW THE BUS SO DON'T HOLD ME TO THAT MODEL #

Most Garmin units can be programmed to a truck,bus or car I don't know about the ones you are looking at.I really like my Garmin 550 that has a suction mount that I mount to the side window,and when I un hook the toad I put it in there for navigation.

I have an in-dash Pioneer system that combines GPS navigation, audio/video output and rear view camera. It is a great system that has an internal hard drive that will hold hundreds, if not a thousand, songs that are copied from CD's. I use it connected to my iPod which holds every song on every CD I own.

That being said, I use a portable Garmin GPS Nuvi 465T which allows you to program your vehicle as a truck including length, width, gross weight and, I believe, axle loads. It keeps me on truck routes when in this mode.

Sometimes it's fun to use both and listen to the bickering back and forth between the two ....

I forgot to mention that the Pioneer unit has a split screen function that allows you to see both the GPS map and rear camera at the same time....

Looks like the 465T is the thing to do. $2700 for an in-dash unit is a little much anyway. First to see if what is in there works and has satellite radio!

Thanks!

Karl,

Check out the new Rand McNally as I have been hearing a ton of great things about it. http://www.randmcnally.com/products/ . For an in dash unit check out the Kenwood Excelon KVT-696 here http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...gation/KVT-696

While I have been using DeLorme for over 10 yrs (long before Bus Ownership) I am currently also using my Garmin Nuvi 650. I find the Garmin easier to move about from the Coach to the Toad or any other vehicle, or even when in a new to me Shopping Mall (to return to my car without a 10 mile hike through a parking lot!!!) This said, the Garmin has not proved to be as user friendly as the Delorme to plan and program a trip. The Delorme is really easier , though that could be from the length of time I have been using it. Downside of Delorme is I use it with my laptop which proves to be a bit cumbersome, but larger map/etc makes it that much easier to use also. Given that, upgrades to DeLorme are only new purchases of their CD's available in many stores and via Internet purchase, whereas Garmin is a simple download off the internet. The Delorme handheld device is really pretty good, albeit almost too small to be able to see... where your s'posed to be going. Good hunting

Karl,

If you want to check out an in-dash option, check with Elite Audio, 772-692-1633. They are located in a plaza on US-1 about 10 minutes from Liberty Coach near Jensen Beach Blvd.

Elite Audio has a parking lot in the rear of their shop that can accommodate your bus. They do EXCELLENT work and I can highly recommend them.