Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Toad Regulations

Default Canadian Toad Regulations

I'm headed to Canada (Ontario) this summer through New York State. I'm towing my Santa Fe (3700 lbs.), I don't have any aux. braking device. I know you need brakes on a trailer if its over 3000 lbs. Does this also include dinghy towed vehicles? Also anything else I should know going through customs, besides leaving all my firearms home?
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick according to my brother you have to have a breaking system on the tow vehicle. He didn't and they made him unhook. Then he just hooked up 5 miles down the road.

Make sure you have your passports with you too or you won't get back... I know one person who had to unhook, and one who had no issue without a brake system. I think I would get one and never have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickdesilva View Post
    I'm headed to Canada (Ontario) this summer through New York State. I'm towing my Santa Fe (3700 lbs.), I don't have any aux. braking device. I know you need brakes on a trailer if its over 3000 lbs. Does this also include dinghy towed vehicles? Also anything else I should know going through customs, besides leaving all my firearms home?
    Pray you don't have to brake hard on a downhill in the rain (not to mention ice or snow or gravel) in a corner, or on a wet unpaved road somewhere. I would get a toad braking system immediately, as friendly, though unsolicited, advice. Good luck, take care.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Rick, in addition to firearms, they love to collect taxes on any alcohol you may have on board. When we crossed into Canada they collected almost $40.00 on 4 or 5 bottles of wine. They will RAG you to death about guns if you have Texas license on your vehicles (which you don't have to worry about) we have crossed twice, and you would have thought we were criminals. I would add some type of brake to the toad though.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Years ago I did not have braking on the toad. Then I got it but really did not make much difference in about 80,000 miles plus of towing. Then the day it all paid for the set up. After about 3 hours of driving with no stops suddenly the pin holding the tow bar in the hitch vanished. The toad hit the end of the safety cables but the break away feature worked. We got stopped without the toad coming in contact with the rear of the bus. Yes a prevost will pull the toad off the road even with the toad brakes applied. Have good safety cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W View Post
    After about 3 hours of driving with no stops suddenly the pin holding the tow bar in the hitch vanished. The toad hit the end of the safety cables but the break away feature worked. We got stopped without the toad coming in contact with the rear of the bus. Have good safety cables.
    Larry you mentioned that your pin vanished ? Could someone have taken it out at your last stop? Or maybe they removed the cotter pin to mess with you and it worked its way out during the 3 hour drive? Another reason I use Key Locked pins in all access points of my tow bar and hitch. From the very beginnnig I purchased ( Keyed Alike Safety Pins from BlueOx ) and have never looked back. As long as I remember to put them on properly and make sure they are locked, they will never be messed with or come off for no reason.

BX88177 4-Lock Kit

Contains 2 - 1/2" locks and 2 - 5/8" locks.
    Locks Blue Ox towbar to the baseplate and receiver.
    Prevents accidental unhitching.
    Sturdy construction for strength and durability.

Just my way of doing things.

Gary S.

Rick,

Below are the requirements for toads from the Ontario MTO website http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub.../part3.shtml#b
    Canadian border guards don't like guns as you already know, the Canadian government loves tax money for alcohol and tobacco as previously stated.
    I know a border guard, they pick on people who hesitate when questioned and don't have a plan. If you have a destination and answer without thinking you will not likely have a problem.
    There are no Pelican Lake style parks in Canada although Ontario is beautiful in summer. If I can be of assistance feel free to PM me. There is always a 50amp hookup and water and all are welcome.

Brake Requirements

Service brakes are required on house trailers if the trailer's axle(s) transmit more than 1,360 kgs (3,000 lbs) to the road when the trailer is attached to the towing vehicle. This applies to cases where the trailer is loaded or empty. If brakes are required, at least one axle of the trailer must be fitted with brakes.

Brakes are not required on towed motor vehicles, whether towed with a tow bar or on a dolly. Tow dollies do not require brakes whether or not the dolly is carrying a motor vehicle.

House trailers with electric or hydraulic brakes are not required to have trailer breakaway braking devices or parking brakes while being towed in Ontario. Breakaway devices may be required in other Canadian provinces, the US and Mexico. Please contact those jurisdictions for their requirements.

FWIW..using key lock pins and you will never worry about someone messing with the toad or it's parts. Years ago while at an overnight RV park one of the other coaches lost the entire tow bar, cables, electric cord. All gone, pretty easy to remove when you think about it.

Well the pin that vanished was a lockable pin. It vanished after 3 hours of driving with no stops going east on I-70 over Vail pass and then the tunnels at Loveland pass. The pin vanished just as we approached Denver. I am certain the pin broke and fell out. There is now a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut for a pin.