Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xantrex inverter dead?

Default Xantrex inverter dead?

The Xantrex Freedom 458 thew an overtemp fault light a couple of weeks ago. I reset and thought everything was OK, but I have no lights on the inverter or remote panel when just sitting or on engine alone. Everything looks fine while on shore power or generator power - but nothing on inverter alone.

Anyone know of a good shop in the Phoenix area (boy, it's hot here at this time of year!) where I can get this checked out?

Thanks,
    Bruce

I have not had personal experience with this shop, but I think some others have. Dessert West Coach http://www.desertwestcoach.com/

See if they can help you.

Gary S.

Bruce sounds like the problem I had or maybe still have. I pushed the red CB buttom and the fan came on for the inverter, so I thought that was the problem. Keep us posted on what you find out.
    GregM

Went through the troubleshooting steps at the Xantrex web site and it seems that there is no power to the inverter from the batteries. I guess that means there is either a bad connection between the batteries and the inverter or a blown fuse in that circuit.

I've checked what I can - most of the lines in the electrical area in the engine compartment are not labeled. What I don't understand is - if there is a bad connection between the batteries and the inverter, why do they charge on the AC pass through and yet not send current to the inverter. Is there a different loop for charge and draw?

Only having this problem with the Xantrex Freedom 458 (not even sure what model it is since I can't see any plate on it without completely disconnecting and removing it from the box it's in. (I know it's a dual AC in/out but don't know if it's a 2500 or 3000W unit) The older Heart inverter right next to it is working fine.

This problem most likely exceeds my meager electrical troubleshooting skills - so I'll need to take it to a shop to have it looked at. The problem here in Phoenix at the moment is the temperature (we full time and the cats won't like sitting in a bus without A/C for hours while diagnosis/repair is underway.)

Since I don't have a problem while on shore or genny power, I'll probably wait until the end of September when my short term work contract is up here and either run to Prevost in Mira Loma, CA before we head to the ABQ balloon fiesta or go to a shop in the Albuquerque area if anyone has a recommendation there.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce.......I think I understand what you are saying and something doesn't add up. That may be because I do not know how Bluebird did the circuits.

If you are not getting power from the batteries to the inverter, then it follows you will not charge the batteries when you are on shore or generator power. Did I understand that correctly? If so something isn't right with the analysis.

Jon,

That's what I can't figure out. While on shore or genny power, both the inverter and the remote panel show full charge on the batteries. Once you disconnect shore or genny power, the remote and inverter displays go blank and the inverter won't start up either locally or from the remote panel.

When I check voltage on the battery lines at the inverter while on shore/genny power, I get 13-13.5 volts.

Xantrex troubleshooting says to disconnect shore/genny power and then try to start inverter both remotely and locally. If it doesn't start (which it doesn't) then check DC voltage at battery connection on inverter. When I do that, I get only 5-6 mA readings. According to Xantrex, that means there is a DC connection problem between the batteries and the inverter?

I don't see any obvious problems on the cables between the inverter and the section of the engine electrical compartment that has a hand labeled "inverter" arrow drawn on it. However, I can't see all the cables easily, I'm not sure that the label applies to the Xantrex inverter and not the Heart inverter (which is working fine) and trying to check all of this out in the 100 degree heat and sun is probably going to cause a short if I drip any more sweat on the wiring .

So, since this appears to be beyond my meager electrical skills I'll probably head to Prevost Car either in Mira Loma or Fort Worth at the end of September before the ABQ balloon fiesta, unless I can figure it out or find a good shop before then.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce, If you get 13 to 13.5V at the battery cables at the inverter, are you getting the same voltage at the batteries?

Both Dale and Granvil had open circuits caused by a fuse or safety device in the battery cable system and maybe they can help you with the diagnosis. But I cannot get past the fact you appear to have power going in one direction, from the inverter charger to the batteries, but not from the batteries to the inverter. Regardless of whether you have power into the inverter, or the inverter is converting battery power to 120V you should see DC voltage at the battery connections

Bruce,

There should be a large 300 to 400 AMP DC fuze somewhere between the Batteries and the inverter. Check the voltage on each side of the fuze. The side going to the batteries should show the same as the battery voltage. The other end of the fuze woud show 0 volts if the fuze is blown and the inverter is OFF and not trying to charge the batteries.

Bruce are you also saying that the batteries are good because the old Heart inverter will power your 110 v circuits when you have no shore or genny power? Do you know if your two inverters are connected to the same single battery bank or does each inverters connect to it's own bank (set) of batteries? If you have two banks of batteries maybe the bank for the Trace inverter are dead.
    GregM

I sure wouldn't ask Mira Loma to look at an inverter problem, especially after watching them try to diagnose a relay problem that IS Prevost. I would suggest talking to Mark Roundy at West Coast Marine Electric in West Los Angeles, CA. He actually services these things and could walk you through the troubleshooting, and repair the unit if that's the indicated step. He also often has rebuilt units in stock, and is a dealer for new ones, as well as for Victron Energy, which in my experience/opinion is a far better inverter/charger choice if you end up replacing it.

Mark's number at WCME is (310) 636-8400 - he's got a plastic coach and sells some RV parts as well. You can tell him I sent you and ask for a deal (I buy a lot for the boat and bus there, and he takes pretty good care of me).

Good luck,

Jay