Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need - Manual Zip Dee Extension Rod With Button Gizmo

Tom,
    I have an arm with a "do dad on the end". Send me PM with your address and it is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Awnings are so much trouble, you really have to ask if they are worth having them. Most of the time they are rolled up, and when you want them to un roll, they won't or they un roll whille your driving down the highway. Then the wind comes up and you scramble to roll them up and they end up over the top of your roof. If you don't use them enough, they refuse to work, and when you do use them for shade, the sun still gets in.
    There's got to be a better way.
    I think they call it STAYING INSIDE the bus ? Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Gary S.

I'm probably now in the minority but I have the manual ZipDee awnings. I've had them on two buses and for 21 years. I posted previously about one coming open in Barstow during serious wind conditions and one blowing off when it was open due to a sudden wind gust. Since then (somewhere around 1993) I have had zero issues. None. No repairs. No problems.

I admit it would be nice to press a button and not have to go through the process of manually opening and closing the awnings, but after sitting in many rallies and seeing the issues the more automated awnings have I do not want to "upgrade". We still lack power shades and windows also and gladly open and close them manually in exchange for potential problems with them also. I'm all for improvements, but not for improvements that trade ease of operation for problems.

I know we can expect improvements that are virtually trouble free. Our transfer switches are a perfect example. The problems with them are so few that we can be very happy the automatic transfer switch has replaced the old black knob that required us to select our power source manually. Our in motion satellite dishes from TracStar are another example. We used to have one of the 5 foot mesh satellite antennas that had to be set manually using a compass and could not be used while driving. Huge improvements. But the automatic awnings aren't yet in that category.