Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What flavor oil in generator

Default What flavor oil in generator

Kohler Model 20EORZ with Yanmar engine is due for oil and filter change. After looking at all the service records unable to find the brand or weight of previous oil changes.

Are there any opinions on oil for this generator ?

Al,

I have a Kohler Model 20CC067-RV with a Yanmar engine and I use Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 synthetic ( same oil is used in my series 60).
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Al, I have the same generator and I used the same oil as the engine - Mobil Delvac.

Ditto. I suppose I should look in the book to confirm it is the correct choice.

15-40 Delvac. Same as Detroit engine. I do not use synthetic. Makes it simple..nothing extra to carry. Manual for my Kohler says 15-40 so there should be no issue.

15 - 40 Shell Rotella.

I have used Rotella in my past engines. Is there a reason ya'll prefer Delvac? Is it what is recommended by DD? It seems unanimous. Havn't changed oil in this engine yet but time is near here also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledo View Post
    I have used Rotella in my past engines. Is there a reason ya'll prefer Delvac? Is it what is recommended by DD? It seems unanimous. Havn't changed oil in this engine yet but time is near here also.
    I started using it when I had my local Freightliner dealer do the first change. They said it was what they used for all DD oil changes. It also is widely available at Wal Mart and most truck stops, so it is easy to get if you need some on the road. I think Rotella would be fine if you like that.

I still think that changing it often is the most important thing. Oil is cheaper than engines!

un-unanimous. Amsoil 15-40 synthetic HD Diesel, same as S60. 10,000 mi change interval on engine...1-2 years on gen. I did an oil analysis on product removed from the generator at 300 hours a couple years ago, it tested almost like it just came out of the bottle so I go long on change interval.

Anyone tried DelVac 1 esp?