Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Operated Step Cover

Default Air Operated Step Cover

Does anyone know how to gain access to the pneumatic air ram which moves the Step Cover?

I have an issue where the floor violently rockets out of the pocket upon first use and then has no issues.

Maybe this was part of the Country Coach Anti-Theft package?

Robert Grutza
    Chicago, IL
    1988 - XL - Country Coach

On my 90 CC the ram is just under the top step (below the driver seat) there is probably a wood cover that is attached to the step cover itself, that comes out at you (and be careful that you don't activate it while standing in the doorway facing it!). Sounds like a mounting bolt has loosened allowing the cylinder to jump or move.

I am not familiar with CCs but I suspect your air cover may have a pressure regulator to make it possible for you to make the movement more acceptable to you. Look in the steer compartment for the hoses to the air cylinder and follow them backwards. You are likely to find a regulator soemwhere in there. If not there may be some means of adjusting the air flow such as a simple valve.

Robert,

I just replaced my regulator, it's made by Mac and you can adjust the pressure in or out. My problem goes beyond the regulator and I have a bad air cylinder that leaks air out the exhaust of the regulator. I have temporarily plugged the lines off until I can figure out how to remove the cylinder. I tried to go through from underneath behind the bumper, but can't get to the mounting bolts. The step is mounted on a slide out tray, but there seems to be no way to remove the stops allowing you to remove the step.

We're just sliding it in and out manually for now.

Thanks guys for the advice. If I can figure this out, I will post some pics.

Robert

Tom,

On my CC, access to the step slide cylinder if from the step well. For example, if you remove the slide step platform (mine is held in place by a nut on the on the end of the cylinder shaft), the piston is exposed. You will need to reach far under the floor to access the back end of the piston. Doable, but not the most comfortable position for us "not so young" guys.

Hector

My step cover used to go out extremely hard. My system uses Versa valves and have an adjustment on the valve itself. You can control the speed going in or out by adjusting the screws beside the air intake port.

See photo below.

Versa Valve.JPG
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Wow, Ron, are you another "Blinger" look at that shine on equipment either in the front lower Driver bay or from under the floor, good pic. Good info!

Guys, be aware that what might be found on a Liberty might not be what you find on a CC or a Marathon, or a Vantate, etc. Each converter often had their own way of doing things and while our coaches share a lot of systems and devices that is not always true.

And I think Ron stayed up all night polishing that valve before he took the photo.

The valve was a snap. What takes so long is polishing all the copper plumbing pipes.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down