In the process of replacing all the air springs on my bus I have discovered that the steer axle bags had been replaced with larger diameter Firestone Bags by I believe Country Coach during their conversion process. It is my intent to replace them with the Goodyear 151 bags, does anyone know if this might present any issues?
It is my assumption that C.C. felt a need for larger diameter bags due to weight. Although that does not make complete sense to me as I've weighed my front axle and it came in well within the reported weights of others.
For everyones information that might also have this change in their bus when I disassembled the assembly I discovered that due to the increased diameter the Firestone bags were being rubbed by the upper housing to the point that approximately half the thickness of the bag had been rubbed away in an area about 6in long with a width of 1/4 to 3/8. It looks to me that if these bags had remained on the bus longer that they would have surely been comprimised and subsequently I would have suffered a catastrophic failure.