Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZipDee awning locks

Default ZipDee awning locks

My newest project appears to be the locks on the awning have become damaged according to the ZipDee website. These awnings were new to me when I bought my bus and was informed that the locks should be engaged after the awning is extended. That is only not true but according to ZipDee damage can occur if it gets windy which is exactly what has happened. I am leaving in 2 days and have until then to figure out how to unlock the roller and close it all in a 20 mph wind that never seems to let up here in New Braunfels. The levers seem to lock solid when in travel lock position but the awning will only roll up about 1/2 a turn when unlocked. Any suggestions that do not include drilling out the rivets and removing the end caps by myself?
    Thanks, Doug
    727-808-7406

Having had two awnings that were affected by winds, one while driving and one while parked I can say with confidence if you have the slightest misgivings about how well your awning is locked you need to figure out a way to secire the awning in a stowed position.

When our awning failed while driving in horrible wind gusts that caused the locks to fail I ended up on top of a step ladder with a wire coat hangar securing the awning so it would not unroll. I have the same manual Zip Dee awnings today and I engage the locks, I have a pivoting catch in the center of the awning that engages in a receiver riveted to the aluminum outer roll and as if that was not enough I wrap velcro around the arms and the bottom height adjustment rod.

You have not had excitement until you are driving at highway speeds and your awning decides to unroll and then proceed to swing in and out at random beating the hell out of your coach and your nerves.

Doug,

It takes two people, but you may be able to hold the locks in the "unlocked" position while rolling up the awning. I had this happen one time to just one side and was able to use the rod to hold the lock open until is got it retracted. If that won't work, then the locks are probably damaged beyond any temporary fix.

The winds laid enough to give another run at dropping the braces and trying to roll it up again. With the locks unlocked I tried rolling it back and forth by hand hoping it would make it past its stop until finally I felt a snap and more movement. I had to manually twist the awning all of the way up by hand all the time trying to keep the wind from taking us both over the top. I only have a 3 step ladder that I carry so at the top I was out of reach and it was at a stop again just before it went under its travel cover. I used medium strength words for a couple of minutes to no avail. Finally after letting out with one special word and a shove in it went. Whew. Time for a drink. I love relaxing and camping. Back to Houston next week for the state Sporting Clays shoot and then to Dallas the following week to visit Marathon and hopefully get this computer working so I can see numbers and levels.

Hint to all the Men and Women out there, I also learned today that whoever is in the bus while you are making any repair which may need assistance, they will NOT be able to hear you no matter what words you use or how many times you repeat them.
    Roughing it smoothly.
    Last edited by Ledo; 05-30-2011 at 08:50 PM.

I'm also a member of the zipdee awning over the roof club. Apparently the "C" clip installed to hold the awning closed had unlatched. No better fun on Sunday afternoon then getting control of all the awning parts and canvas on the side of the road. After that excitement I used a plastic tie to know the "C' clip is secure. Well, worth the inconvenience to cut the tie and open the awning.

The swivel hook locks that our awnings have, do have a tendancy to become loose. I have installed a third in the center of the patio awning and took a round file to slightly 'notch' the hook. the notch really has helped with locking the awning securely.

While I cannot claim to be a fan of ZipDee I know from seeing plastic motorhomes with other brand awnings our experiences are not unique.

On more than one occasion we have gone by a motorhome on the side of the road with its awning unrolled and banging itself open and closed. When that happened to us we were outside Barstow CA in extremely gusty wind conditions and when the awning opened and filled itself with air and began banging against the coach I thought I had been hit by a car.

The second event was in Colorado Springs and we were in a rally with about 200 coaches. The air was calm and our awning was open. Without warning we got hit by a strong gust and the wind speed picked up quickly. It hit so hard and so fast it ripped the arms from the coach and jammed one of them between the air horns and the roof. Four guys were walking by and with five of us we were able to get the awning under control. I had to secure it to the roof. We stopped at ZipDee for repairs and they did a great job including upgrading it with the C locks. Several other coaches at the rally also lost their awnings that day.

There is no substitute for doing all possible to secure the awnings. And because of the awning I always carry a ladder that can allow me to reach the awning or get on the roof. If our coaches have a weak spot it is the awnings.

Doug,

I have repaired the lock on one of my awnings and it wasn't that bad, but is a two man job. I also carried, before I got traded busses, some big industrial strength plastic zip ties (thanks Kevin Erion) to secure them with in the event of inadvertent awning extension while driving. This was more of an issue with the front driver side awning.

If you want to come to the hanger and change it out while you are in town let me know. I'm a good supervisor and I have all the tools for the job.

I am amazed at how many awnings have come open with gusty winds while driving. Last thing I was worried about was that happening. JW thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm going to have the spare day to do it. Tomorrow is my only free day and I have no parts not even knowing what may have broken. I shoot fri, sat and Sunday and drive to Dallas Monday. I plan on trying to take it on next week while up there if possible I guess. I will be going by marathon for some repairs but wasn't to keen on adding the awnings to their tab.

Where are you shooting?