Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zip Dee awnings

I was at a rally one time and ZipDee had a team of techs there to service awnings.

Of the 50 or 60 coaches that were there a significant number had some repairs or adjustments. Those two techs were worked like slaves. At that point I added manual awnings as must-have items. No power awnings for me.

My 2 cents about ZipDee. Having heard such "Good" things about their service we made a trip to them. After an estimate of 3-$400 estimate, it wound up nearly $1200, but, that is ok, we got what we wanted & needed. That said, the first rain storm after their work, I had a deluge inside from , when investigated with a cabin pressure system, the railing used to hold the big awning had somehow come loose. This awning had never had any leakage before they worked on it. They had a "heck" of a time removing and replacing the large spring which I think caused the leak. They are adamant that they did no work that could have done this, but the fact was the leak was the mounting having been torn loose. My unhappy experience with them. Thats all.

I have both Zip Dee and Girard awnings on my coach. I like the Girard much better; it works everytime.

Can it fail with a high gust of wind, sure it will - any awning will.

I have also experienced my Zip Dees opening while driving in windy conditions when we first bought the coach. The C clamps were broken so I tie-wrapped them until we could install new C clamps.

I don't know how Girards work but when they are in the closed position and I am driving in high winds they stay shut, period. The Girard when extended can not take as much wind as a manual Zip Dee but they will close themselves up when the wind exceeds 25 mph. That is a pretty nice feature IMO!

Another nice feature of the Girards is the remote control. It is small enough to carry in your pocket so whenever you want to open/close the awning you just hit the button.

In 5 years of use I have never had an issue with the motor on the Girard. If the motor were to fail there is an extension pole that facilitates closing the awning manually.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Just to add my 2 cents worth. A previous POG member had problems with his 08 Zip Dee Awnings. It was quite a job of taking the motors off, but he got them off ( block and tackle in his barn ) after raising the entire awning box. Paid for the new motor, recieved the wrong one from ZipDee, returned it ( paid for that freight too ) got it all back together. He is still waiting for the Warranty Check Reimbursement from ZipDee, 8 months later. Not a Happy Zip Dee Owner to say the least.

Gary S.

It appears that there is a common theme here, namely that Zip Dee sucks as a company to do business with. If I ever have to replace these awnings, they won't be Zip Dee's that is for sure.

Never have cared for Zip Dee awnings on these beautiful expensive buses. They are JUNK!!! Just my opinion!!
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

There was a time when ZipDee was the standard by which all other awning manufacturers were measured. Every Prevost came with ZipDee awnings. Their chairs were found almost as standard equipment on conversions as well.

My guess is ZipDee would make a good business school topic on how to destroy a position of prominence in the marketplace.

Well brought the bus to the shop to have the motors fixed in the Zip Dee's awning. It took them about an hour to remove the first awning and get the motor out. They tested it to make sure it was burn out. Then call Zip Dee to order 2 new 3rd generation motors should be here in 2 days. It did take 3 strong guys to lift the awning to the side to get the motor out. This forsure is a job for men with a strong back!! I just watched to make sure things went smoothly. It is a pain in the rear to replace these motors and at $675.00 each it is expensve. Will let you know how things work out. Oh the shop doing the work with Zip Dee said that they were very helpful and said they would help with any problems that come up.

Steve, thanks for your help after talking to your guys I felt more comfortable with my local service guy since it takes a couple of days to get the parts. I also gave me a benchmark as far price goes. Again thanks for your effort.

I have also make the trek to Zip Dee. Nice folks caught in a time warp. Office was circa 1974. I told them about my involuntary awning extension running down the road and how the same awning would twist up in the slightest breeze.

I left their place near Chicago and drove back to Houston then drove to Stillwater and back to OKC for POG 8 where whilst harassing the Krakman he notices a cordless drill on the top edge of my coach - just where the Zip Dee guy left it two months earlier.

It was still charged up and holds a place of distinction in my tool box.

I remember seeing a picture of that. I remember someone saying how smooth the ride was of a prevost bus and that was the proof!! lol