Thread: Driver's seat

Default Driver's seat

Discussion with the better half....

I want to replace/install the driver's seat with a professional driver's seat(Sears Elite 80). I am uncomfortable with the plush living room seat that is most common. She is looking for a HDTV type of overall view.

I know that most coaches come with a plush seat. Are any of you uncomfortable on long pulls?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "plush living room seat".

Our bus has the ISRI drivers seat found in many conversions, but I wouldn't exactly call it "plush".

That being said, I find that I can drive the bus longer, with considerably less fatigue, than any of the vehicles we have towed. Not sure if it's thanks to the seat in particular or simply the incredible ride of the bus.

In the long run, only you will be able to determine what works best for you....

Our driver's seats are upholstered to look nice and to match the co-pilot seating. But if you look beyond the appearance you will see they are specifically for our application and meet required safety standards.

The ISRI driver's seat Paul mentions is not unlike what you will find in Class 8 semis and they are designed with the driver in mind while likely meeting DOT standards. I see no problem in replacing our seats with any other seat desgined for the professional driver, but it is nice to have the seat look like furniture rather than an industrial device.

David,

Both of my buses have or had the ISRI air ride driver's seat which like Jon says are not unlike what you would find in an long haul semi. The air ride is important for long drives. I have two complaints with the ISRI: 1) the seat back is not tall enough for the head rest to serve any practical function (like head support in a crash) and 2) the seat is not very wide which gets to be a problem as gravity spreads out my backside. I think the convertors keep them low in the back to keep the view better from the saloon. I looked at replacing the ISRI in the first bus with a National or Bostrom seat which is much like the Sears Elite 80 that you referenced. I looked at the Talledega series from Bostrom which had a wider back and longer seat. In the end, I sold the first bus and didn't do anything. I wish the current bus had a longer seat back.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

In a prior thread Truk4U replied;

Oh, if it's German it has to be good! The buttons are junk and us dumb ass Americans don't need a manual to push a button. You can't buy individual buttons to rebuild, you have to by the whole assembly and wait until you price that with Prevost. And after you replace the assembly, it won't be long until your sitting on the floor again and the lumbars are deflated.

Bostrom Seats have been the mainstay of the trucking industry for 40 years, they're made in the US and they work!

Customer Satisfaction Survey - Ya, just send it to me.