Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewart & Stevenson Houston, TX.

Default Stewart & Stevenson Houston, TX.

The reason for my post is to bring to light an issue I recently had with my Detroiot 60 and its repair.

We were coming back from a beautiful 4 day camping experience up around Jefferson, TX. with 20 of our closest camping friends. We stopped midway at a rest stop to LET THE DOGS OUT, and stretch my legs. When I started the bus back up I got that dreaded display CHECK ENGINE AT NEXT STOP. I wasn't too far from S&S so we dropped the bus off on Sunday in their gated parking lot and drove the hummer home.

The following events occured over the NEXT 9 days:

Pulled the code and determined it was a bad reading from the OIL Sending Unit.
    REPLACED UNIT
    Same low pressure reading
    Installed Second Sending Unit.
    Same Reading
    Diagnosed sending unit wiring for proper voltage. Possible fault
    Same Reading
    Ran all new wiring from sending unit to ECM
    Same Reading
    Replaced ECM with new computer system. Possible Cost of New ECM $ 2200 for part only...
    Same LP reading
    S&S asked when I had the oil / filter changed last and by whom. Could it be straight 40w weight oil instead of 15w/40w causing low pressure reading on sensor?
    I ok'd them to do a complete oil / filter change to verify proper oil in crankcase.
    SAME LP READING
    On the 6th day in the shop they installed the 4th Sending unit and that fixed the problem. Turns out they had a bad batch of sending units and everyone of them failed to solve my issue.

NOW I know what you are thinking, which is just what I was thinking? Would any bank approve the loan I was going to need for all of these repairs?

Turns out All S & S charged me for was the initial replacement of the first sending unit and the oil and filter change. NOW THAT IS GREAT SERVICE. $ 1000 later and we are on our way to Buckhorn for the Memorial Day Weekend.

Gary S.

Gary.......$1,000 ????? Whew!! That sure sounds like alot of moolah! BUT, what do I know!
    Sandy
    CaptMogul & Sandy
    2002 Royale XLII D/S
    2013 Toyota Tacoma
    PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS & THEIR FAMILIES

I've had pretty good luck with Stewart & Stevenson in Houston back in the 8V92 days, but luckily I haven't had an issue with a Series 60.

S & S is fantastic and their service is second to none. I have had a great deal of service done by their technicians and they perform. On my Newell, I was having the injectors replaced and they promised the coach by a given Thursday at 5 p m. We went to the service center to pick up the coach. It was not ready and the mechanic had gone home. We returned to our home and at about 6 p m we received a call from the service center. They were calling the mechanic back into the shop and asked where we wanted the coach delivered later that night at their expense. We declined their offer but when we arrived the next day, they reduced the bill by $1000 for our inconvenience.
    Pres

I haven't used these people yet but they can count on my business from now on. Probably need to pay them a visit anyway. 157000 on the old 60. After having a few retail businesses of my own, I can assure everyone I want to do business with a company that thinks this much of their customers, I think it would be nice if they could be made aware of the comments made on POG on their behalf.

Do NOT confuse Stewart & Stevenson Dallas with Stewart & Stevenson Houston. Our 2004 CC went to S & S Dallas from NIRV in Lewisville for a loss of power issue just after Thanksgiving. Two months later we got it back after they had repaired it. We started 3 trips from OKC to pick up the bus but at the last minute were told it was not really going to be ready. They had called NIRV in Lewisville that our bus was repaired, but when the technician was given the keys, they were for a Marathon. Although Carla had been required to pay the invoice before S & S would release the bus, our bus was NOT repaired. Long story shot, our bus was finally repaired. They could not identify what work had been done on our CC versus the Marathon. When they sent "final" invoices on the same day with different VIN numbers with different totals we knew things were not right. The service writers, Fred Barnett and Mike Merrian would not send the proper information to Carla. The general manager, John Salsbury would not take her call. She disputed the bill with Visa and sent a certified letter to Mr. Salsbury. He called, said it would be taken care of, but it still was over a month later with more calls to Chase bank involved before we think it is truly resolved. I hope to never have to have my bus at S & S Dallas again.

You also need to remember when Loc owned his first hanger queen, it spent more time at S&S than the RV storage. He knows the service writers so well they send him Christmas cards. I'm sure they were way disappointed when he traded.

Dale the service guy would even ask if I wanted to put my work on Beagle Boy's bill. Said he would never notice, but then again that was before he started working for the government.

Why would anyone replace 4 pressure transducers and not verify the oil pressure reading with an old time mechanical gauge. My Royale has a permanently mounted mechanical gage installed in the engine compartment above the engine.

John, they actually did the check with a manual pressure gauge. That is how they knew there was no real damage in the engine, but just could not determine why the oil sending units were giving a low reaading compared to the manual gauge. That is also why they replaced everything associated with the sending unit, including the wiring before they were finally able to determine the fault was in the first 3 sending units they were using. The fourth unit was a charm as they say. Part of the fee was also for a complete oil / filter change. I felt lucky after 7 days in there shop and all the things they replaced, that my bill was ONLY less than $ 1000.00.

Dale, Kevin and Alfred at S&S Houston are great. They did a fair amount of work on my 8V92 over the years. When we blew the engine in New Mexico it went to S&S in Albuquerque. Kevin in Houston gave the service manager a call before and during the repairs. He even called about the final bill and had them discount the rebuild by 20%. While I haven't had to use them for the last 3 years (since the Series 60) the guys in Houston are outstanding.

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston