Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertainer vs Motorhome

Default Entertainer vs Motorhome

What are the differences generally w/ an entertainer vs a Prevost motorhome conversion. Not really talking about the obvoius possible issue of a previously rented coach - I can flush that out.

I'm more interested in what prevost motorhomes have generally that the entertainers do not. Are there deal breakers w/ an entertainer? Is it just not built to the same standards - ie. insulation, operational issues and such.

Thank you,

From my experience, things like: size of battery bank, size of inverter, size of tanks, cabinet and drawer space, lack of finished basement space, wall separation between driver and house, small shower sometimes combined with commode, tiny bathroom, sometimes two toilets, small kitchens with no counter space and no food storage area, small refrigerators, typically no slide although that's changing. If a slide is present it's a bunch shorter in the entertainer shell than in the motorhome shell. You can be sure that most of the other electronic features we're used to are missing: Crestron, Power Management, Load centers with fancy resettable fuses and circuit breakers, etc. Entertainers don't really live in entertainer coaches. I've been told that doing number 2 in the toilet is generally forbidden. Generators are relied upon 100%. Usually just one small inverter, and a battery bank of just a few hundred Ampere-hours. Lots of sleeping space, but little in the way of cabinets or drawers for clothing and personal stuff. Entertainers and their helpers live out of suitcases stored in the basement. The basements look like OTR touring bus basements, nothing finished, no built-in storage, no entertainment centers, or refrigerators, etc. IMPO, there's a lot of work needed to turn an entertainer into a motorhome. To me, it just isn't feasible.
    Last edited by travelite; 05-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.

David pretty much nailed it. The difference is in how an entertainer coach is used. It is not uncommon for the driver's seat to be isolated from the front stateroom. He needs some provision for keeping the lights in the rear of the coach from interfereing with his visibility via reflections in the windshield when he is driving at night.

The interiors are generally durable but lack design features we have in a MH. It is not uncommon for the interior to be modular. For example it may take little effort to convert a pair of bunks into a full height closet and vice versa.

It may have OTR, but it is likely to have at least 5 roof airs. It is likely to have 2 gensets. While we can dry camp and want the battery power and inverters to do that, it is not uncommon for the generator on an entertainier coach to be turned on at the start of the tour and kep running anytime the group is in the bus or about to be in the bus. The second genset is backup. Ditto with the 5th roof air.

Expect very little water and waste holding. The group uses the bus to travel, they do not live in it. Some leasors of entertainer coaches will not permit anyone to do #2 in a bus toilet. The kitchen if you want to call it that is for snacks, not for cooking. The rear stateroom is not likely to be a bedroom, but a second sitting area. The entertainer coaches see a lot of miles so in two years it may have the same number of miles typically found in a 10 to 15 year old MH.

The shell is not the same as a MH. It has a longer wheelbase, although future MH shells are going to have the same wheelbase as entertainer shells so that is not likely to be a show stopper. But bottom line, as David says is an entertainer coach has a significant number of changes that have to be made to it to have one begin to match a MH. But the reverse is also true. Our coaches and interiors will not meet the requirements of the typical group that leases an entertainer coach, nor will it have the durability or redundancy those coaches require

These two fellas nailed it. I've owned two MH Prevosts and traveled in quite a few entertainer coaches. That being said, entertainer coaches generally have 12 bunks, a front and rear salon, and a bathroom usually without a shower. A star coach is set up more like our coaches typically with 3-6 bunks, bathroom with shower, and a rear bedroom. Google Diamond Coaches in Nashville to see the differences.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Expect very little water and waste holding.

The shell is not the same as a MH. It has a longer wheelbase, although future MH shells are going to have the same wheelbase as entertainer shells so that is not likely to be a show stopper. But bottom line, as David says is an entertainer coach has a significant number of changes that have to be made to it to have one begin to match a MH. But the reverse is also true. Our coaches and interiors will not meet the requirements of the typical group that leases an entertainer coach, nor will it have the durability or redundancy those coaches require

Well you hit on an interest item there I hadn't thought of - holding capacity. That is a problem.

Also what do you mean future MH's will have a longer wheel base and why are the entertainer coaches based on a longer w-b?

Quote Originally Posted by travelite View Post
    From my experience, things like: size of battery bank, size of inverter, size of tanks, cabinet and drawer space, lack of finished basement space, wall separation between driver and house, small shower sometimes combined with commode, tiny bathroom, sometimes two toilets, small kitchens with no counter space and no food storage area, small refrigerators, typically no slide although that's changing. If a slide is present it's a bunch shorter in the entertainer shell than in the motorhome shell. You can be sure that most of the other electronic features we're used to are missing: Crestron, Power Management, Load centers with fancy resettable fuses and circuit breakers, etc. Entertainers don't really live in entertainer coaches. I've been told that doing number 2 in the toilet is generally forbidden. Generators are relied upon 100%. Usually just one small inverter, and a battery bank of just a few hundred Ampere-hours. Lots of sleeping space, but little in the way of cabinets or drawers for clothing and personal stuff. Entertainers and their helpers live out of suitcases stored in the basement. The basements look like OTR touring bus basements, nothing finished, no built-in storage, no entertainment centers, or refrigerators, etc. IMPO, there's a lot of work needed to turn an entertainer into a motorhome. To me, it just isn't feasible.
    Thank you David - very helpful and comprehensive.

My understanding from Marathon is that the MH chassis is being discontinued and that future MH conversions will be constructed on the entertainer platform which has the longer wheelbase.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

When Prevost is producing the new shells they are going to have some changes. On the XLII style the stainless will now stop at the top of the bay doors. The bays have been changed and I think the fuel tank relocated and all shells including the MH are going to have the longer wheelbase of the entertainer shell.

Right now an XLII wheelbase for a MH is shorter than the entertainer shell although the lengths are the same. Next time you see a Prevost on the highway look at the rear overhang. On a MH shell the length behind the rear wheels is longer than the entertainer. On the MH shell there is a small compartment behind the tag axle. On entertainer shells the rear wheels are moved back and only the perforated radiator and eingine doors are behind the tag axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    When Prevost is producing the new shells they are going to have some changes. On the XLII style the stainless will now stop at the top of the bay doors. The bays have been changed and I think the fuel tank relocated and all shells including the MH are going to have the longer wheelbase of the entertainer shell.

Right now an XLII wheelbase for a MH is shorter than the entertainer shell although the lengths are the same. Next time you see a Prevost on the highway look at the rear overhang. On a MH shell the length behind the rear wheels is longer than the entertainer. On the MH shell there is a small compartment behind the tag axle. On entertainer shells the rear wheels are moved back and only the perforated radiator and eingine doors are behind the tag axle.
    Yes, but why are they going to model based on the E? Is it because of the load behind the tag or some other reason? Will increase turning radius - that's not good - unless the front wheel radius will change. Where can one find information on the next generation Prevost chasis for the MH or are you saying there really isn't a next generation they are just discontinuing the MH and rolling only E's off the line.

Prevost web site has the info,they are just not building enough XLII to justify a MH only version.I have heard that the new one with the Volvo D 13 will also have a 19,000 LB front axle.