Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entertainer vs Motorhome

There are two advantages to the MH XLII shell. The longer rear overhang provides a means of getting weight off the front axle by cantilevering the weight of the engine, transmission and whatever other weight the converter can place back there to offset weight that would go to the front axle. The second benefit is the turn radius is better than on the entertainer shell.

With the use of the entertainer shell converters are going to have to work very hard to cut down on weight so the steer axle is not overloaded. I think that is why some converters are going to use the lithium ion batteries. Prevost saves a few bucks by eliminating one model from their lineup but it just transfers the cost to the MH buyer who ultimately pays for the methods used to save weight.

But the turn radius difference is a non issue. As an owner gets accustomed to his turn radius and the pivot point it is doubtful he will wish he had the shorter wheelbase. In all my years of ownership there may have been one or two instances where I was able to make a turn with 0" to spare. Turns are usually relatively easy because there is ample room or they are so lacking it is obvious there is no way to make it. A foot or two difference in turn radius is not likely to make the difference. But what will change is drivers will have to be much more aware of high centering the coach, especially if the conversion has baffles or piping that hangs below the level of the bay doors. That disadvantage will be offset to an extent by a ride that should be slightly improved as a result of the longer wheelbase.

Quote Originally Posted by towsonengsberg View Post
    These two fellas nailed it. I've owned two MH Prevosts and traveled in quite a few entertainer coaches. That being said, entertainer coaches generally have 12 bunks, a front and rear salon, and a bathroom usually without a shower. A star coach is set up more like our coaches typically with 3-6 bunks, bathroom with shower, and a rear bedroom. Google Diamond Coaches in Nashville to see the differences.
    Towson! Where the hell you been? I need to know when either of your bands is playing in my area again! Oh yeah - these guys did nail the differences between a motorhome conversion and an entertainer conversion. I've owned both and can testify that an entertainer conversion is built for utility and durability foremost, where our motorhome conversions are built more with luxury in mind. A leased entertainer coach will get a lot of hard use by people with no vested interest in taking care of it, whereas our motorhomes are usually pampered and treated with kid gloves by the owners who absolutely love them.

Towson - get in touch, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    There are two advantages to the MH XLII shell. The longer rear overhang provides a means of getting weight off the front axle by cantilevering the weight of the engine, transmission and whatever other weight the converter can place back there to offset weight that would go to the front axle. The second benefit is the turn radius is better than on the entertainer shell.

With the use of the entertainer shell converters are going to have to work very hard to cut down on weight so the steer axle is not overloaded. I think that is why some converters are going to use the lithium ion batteries. Prevost saves a few bucks by eliminating one model from their lineup but it just transfers the cost to the MH buyer who ultimately pays for the methods used to save weight.

But the turn radius difference is a non issue. As an owner gets accustomed to his turn radius and the pivot point it is doubtful he will wish he had the shorter wheelbase. In all my years of ownership there may have been one or two instances where I was able to make a turn with 0" to spare. Turns are usually relatively easy because there is ample room or they are so lacking it is obvious there is no way to make it. A foot or two difference in turn radius is not likely to make the difference. But what will change is drivers will have to be much more aware of high centering the coach, especially if the conversion has baffles or piping that hangs below the level of the bay doors. That disadvantage will be offset to an extent by a ride that should be slightly improved as a result of the longer wheelbase.
    Doesn't item #1 apply to both MH and E?

A longer wheelbase (less rear overhang) increases the turn radius and by having a greater length between the axles instead of behind the rear axles the steer axle has to carry a greater load even if the house and bays are identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    A longer wheelbase (less rear overhang) increases the turn radius and by having a greater length between the axles instead of behind the rear axles the steer axle has to carry a greater load even if the house and bays are identical.
    Ok so it becomes a function of space vs. load. In other words the longer wheel base I assume is more desireable because of more storage/bays between axles vs. the desire to lighten the front axle load. Is this a correct assumption?

Yes. That longer wheelbase and the increased storage is one of the reasons the entertainer coach is like that. But keep in mind that the short space behind the wheels on the motorhome is not wasted. In my coach the space behind the tag axle houses the house batteries on one side and the Webasto and associated valving on the other.

I did not see anyone mention the horsepower difference of the two models, due to lack of radiator/cooling in the 40 ft and entertainer shells. The last published specs said 455HP/12.7L version of the Series 60, versus the 515HP/14L version of Series 60 the the MH shells were equipped with. I have not heard of what the engine HP difference will be yet for the Volvo Engines versus models, but there has to be a difference for the same fundamental reason as before with the Detroit engine use.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Ben, I think that is dependent upon whether the shell is an XL or XLII. The XLII on a MH has a much greater area for cooling air flow essentially using the space behind the tag all the way to the rear. On the entertainer the XLII loses that 18" due to the longer wheelbase. The XL only has the shorter open area for cooling because on those shells the 18" area behind the tag is usually used for something else, such as the Webasto on my Liberty.

What all POG members should realize is Detroit (and probably Volvo) will certify the engine installation and the amount of horsepower will be dependent upon the ability of the coach to cool as required. At one time owners were getting their HP "turned up" but with no other modification to the coach or the cooling system. When the HP was needed such as climbing a long hill, if the coach could not get rid of the heat produced the computer just started removing HP from the engine which negated the increase in HP.

When a coach is sold by Prevost with a given HP, the cooling system for the engine can remove the heat produced so the HP is always available.