Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving In Mountains

Default Driving In Mountains

We are taking our first long trip and I need some advice about driving in the mountains. We are making our way from Fort Myers, FL to Cincinnati via Hilton Head. (It is so nice here in Hilton Head it is hard to leave.)

From Fort Myers to Hilton, the hills are mostly overpasses. From Hilton Head to Cincinnati the hills get larger.

I assume going up hills is just stand on the gas pedal and let it do its thing.

I'm more concerned about coming down. We are in an H3-45 with transmission retarder (no jake brake) and towing a 4,500 lb car. How do I determine how far to downshift and how much retarder to use? I realize the size of the hill really matters so I guess I'm looking for general advice.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Hi..with the transmission retarder you will not have any problems. We drove it up and down many hills.

Terry, With planning the retarder is a great way to manage speeds on the downhill side of a mountain.

Going up we put our transmission im performance mode, and in some cases where we know the hill is steep I downshift into 5th early and just hammer down.

The retarder is most effective in lower gears and mine automatically drops a gear when it is engaged. Traveling out west where some grades were 6 and 7% and warning signs posted those grades I would put the retarder in the second position and drop my speed before hitting the downhill to below my 4th gear top speed which is 55. If the speed approached the 55 point I pulled the lever into the third retarder position and left it there until my speed dropped back to 50 or so. In all cases I was able to manage my speeds and keep the transmission oil temps to a maximum of 230 degrees. All this without touching the brakes.

I initially was concerned about if I would pose a hazard to the trucks behind me until I realized they had slowed to the same speeds I was going.

If you don't monitor your transmission fluid temps they can get hot, but the computer will take away the retarder if they reach 300 degrees. I prefer to limit my transmission oil temps to 230 which is very conservative but easily done.

I have come down Black Mountain on I 40 in North Carolina with a 30 foot stacker behind the bus(71,000 total) with a retarder and never touched the brakes and the transmission temps never went over 225.

A rule of thumb is "you go down the hill in the same gear that you climbed it in". The retarder and/or Jake brake will help control the speed. Watch for the posted safe speed limit signs and stay 5 mph below that speed. It is a conservative method but a safe one.

Terry anticipate the hills and down shift to keep the RPM's in the optimal range, don't wait for the transmission to do the shifting. But then I only have an old 8v92.

Thank you for the input. I feel more confident and ready to take on the mountains. We are thinking about heading to Alaska next summer so I'd better get comfortable in the mountains.

Thanks again.
    Terry

The key to all of this is you as the driver have to participate. You can't sit there and expect the retarder to do the work for you. You have to actively manage the retarder and the gears to maintain your target speed. It is when you allow things to go beyond your target speeds or temperatures that you go from being a driver to a passenger. Like Jack points out the retarder is more than capable and Denny's post is right on target. Don't let anyone try to intimidate you into going faster than a safe speed.

I drove a dump truck during college so i am ok with actively participating in driving. I have also subscribed to Jon's school of thought when it comes to speed. I set the cruise at 67 or 68 and don't worry much about what is happening behind me. I imagine going down the first longer steep grade will be a bit slower until I get the feel for the transmission and retarder.

There's an old truckers saying - you can go down a hill too slow a thousand times....but only once too fast...