Thread: Driving In Mountains

Hybrid View

Thank you for the input. I feel more confident and ready to take on the mountains. We are thinking about heading to Alaska next summer so I'd better get comfortable in the mountains.

Thanks again.
    Terry

The key to all of this is you as the driver have to participate. You can't sit there and expect the retarder to do the work for you. You have to actively manage the retarder and the gears to maintain your target speed. It is when you allow things to go beyond your target speeds or temperatures that you go from being a driver to a passenger. Like Jack points out the retarder is more than capable and Denny's post is right on target. Don't let anyone try to intimidate you into going faster than a safe speed.

I drove a dump truck during college so i am ok with actively participating in driving. I have also subscribed to Jon's school of thought when it comes to speed. I set the cruise at 67 or 68 and don't worry much about what is happening behind me. I imagine going down the first longer steep grade will be a bit slower until I get the feel for the transmission and retarder.

There's an old truckers saying - you can go down a hill too slow a thousand times....but only once too fast...

Default A little more driving lesson please

Ok, so how about a few more lessons in driving down big hills, with ONLY the JAKE brake and transmission to control your speed?

I don't have a transmission retarder to help me.

At the top of the hill going say 35mph, do you downshift into 2 or 3rd and maximize the Jake brake to cruise slowly down the big hill? And will that be enough to maintain a slow speed without over reving your rpm's?

Gary S.

Hi Gary. I would find the seed at which you are comfortable depending upon the grade. Usually 4th or 5th works but I would still use the jake.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary,
    There are three factors involved in controlling downhill speed. You mentioned two but don't overlook your brakes; they are a necessary part of the safe speed equation. Depending on the hill the Jake brake and transmission may not control the downhill speed. As speed is increasing, use the stab method of braking. Apply the brakes to reduce the speed to at least 5 mph under the speed limit then release the brakes. Allow the Jake and transmission to hold you back until you gradually reach the speed limit again. Then apply the brakes to slow you down to 5 mph under the speed limit. Keep repeating this process until reaching the bottom. Again, you go down the hill in the same gear that you went up it in. Depending on the downside, you may have to go to the next lower gear. It is a trial and error method to control the speed. Don't ride the brakes or they will overheat and they won't be there when you need them. Plus the smell of overheated brakes stinks.