Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cup anemometer

Those little wind cups are the kind you find on home weather stations and are intended to be on the roof of a house.

They were never designed to be at risk from low hanging trees, birds in flight, or high speed winds such as when driving. Other than protecting it with a 1/4" wire rod cage to prevent physical damage while allowing the flow of wind I can't imagine any other choice since it is likely there is some electronic way of measuring wind speed built into the circuitry rather than a simple open or closed circuit.

Don't get me going on converters building ever more complex and costly to maintain coaches. The list of things people can be expected to spend serious dollars on to maintain a coach keeps getting longer and longer and as the market value of coaches goes down due to the age of these coaches owners who buy these are just not going to spend the dollars necessary and there is going to be a lot of junk in the marketplace.

If our coach chassis is supposed to be this theoretical million mile coach, then the stuff that goes into making it into a motorhome should at least be made with the same focus on long durable service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    If our coach chassis is supposed to be this theoretical million mile coach, then the stuff that goes into making it into a motorhome should at least be made with the same focus on long durable service.
    Yeah! What Jon said!

Is there a consensus that the blade type anemometer is hardier that the cup type (they are both plastic)? If so has anyone found a source for them besides Girard?

ms911 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HarborBus View Post
    Is there a consensus that the blade type anemometer is hardier that the cup type (they are both plastic)? If so has anyone found a source for them besides Girard?
    Not yet but I am looking.

Default Simple Fix

I repaired a unit using these ladies nylon cups, a titch bigger perhaps than you need but they are cheap and available plus you can use the nylons for a whole host of things...other than wearing them, but that's another story

"I found the ping-pong balls used as cups in some projects are too fragile and won't survive strong winds that we sometimes get here at the Great Lakes Shore. The Easter Egg hulls are more reliable, but I could find any in stores at this time (August). However, there are plenty of semi-sphere shaped items in any grocery store. That is what I have found in Walgreens - women's nylon socks packed in almost perfect for my needs plastic cups."
    Attached Images Attached Images

ms911 Guest

Great idea. Thanks.

Hey John, where ya been? Haven't heard or seen from you in a long time! Hope all is well!

Cool

John, what Great Lakes shore?

Hey if your going the home remedy route, cut a tennis ball in half.

It will be flexible for those big bird hits and actually may survive.

JIM

#1...Use some plastic weld (2 part) a sheet of 400, and finish with plastic coat paint....nobody will ever be the wiser.....

#2...Sid, Alive and well....had to take over a business that I had loaned money to. Ain't retirement grand??? BTW anyone who needs an FAA Repair Station either for work or is interested in the buy...let me know!

#3...Jim, that where I found the idea. Still lurking on my confuser, thought it may be good for the boyz to know........................

John Boy,

When did you give up the Seneca for the Doctor Killer?

Welcome back....