Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cup anemometer

ms911 Guest

Default Cup anemometer

I have cup anemometers wind sensors on my Girard awnings. I need help finding just the cups. Girard tells me they are not available. I think the anemometers are made by C and E? It is a Marathon conversion.
    Thanks.

ms911,

I don't think you can purchase just the cups.

I changed the complete wind sensor about 2 years ago. I can't remember who I purchased it from (I think it was directly from Girard), but it cost about $75. When it arrived a few days later I changed it out and installed the new one - it works great. I had hit a tree limb while driving through a subdivision in New Orleans and broke the old one into several pieces.

Girard is a nice company to do business with. They make a great awning!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

ms911 Guest

Thanks. The cups just pop off but Girard wants $149 for the whole unit. I may just change to the blade style.

I bought three of the of the cup type last year from Girard for around $100 each because at that time they said they had heard that Somfy was going to discontinue them. I replaced one at that time and now I have another that has one of the cups broken off so I'll only have one left. I'm wondering if the blade style would work with our older system?

Quote Originally Posted by HarborBus View Post
    I bought three of the of the cup type last year from Girard for around $100 each because at that time they said they had heard that Somfy was going to discontinue them. I replaced one at that time and now I have another that has one of the cups broken off so I'll only have one left. I'm wondering if the blade style would work with our older system?
    Yes Elliott - The blade style is a direct replacement and it works much better - The blades are flexible and can take a lot more punishment than the cups.
    Ken Robertson
    Parliament Motor Coach - 727-748-5986

Thanks Ken that's good to know, I'd hate to have to convert the entire system to the new stuff, nice but expensive.

ms911 Guest

Thanks for the info. I have three of the new blade style that the previous coach owner had bought. I will buy another and replace as necessary.
    I did find this place that has the old style but why pay $73 for something that is so fragile.
    http://www.floridaautomatedshade.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=9050110"

On the way back from Calif. to KC on I-40 a now deceased bird totally misjudged a take-off hitting the roof cap then broke the wind sensor off the base. The 9050110 looks the same as the others on the coach.
    Girard quoted $146 each for complete blade style. They advise drilling new base plate holes would be needed. Is Girard the source for the blade style ?

Apart from thinking there shouldn't be such fragile components which might be subject to damage, I wonder why it has to be a rotating wind sensor.

Wouldn't a device much like an upside down pendulum work? When no wind blows the device stands upright, but as the wind velocity increases the pendulum leans and when it reaches some angle relative to its base it sends a signal. A simple open or close circuit. The sensor which just sticks up into the air can be built so it can literally be knocked flat but will return to its intended position as soon as the force is removed.

I see the little cups spinning in the breeze and all I think of is everything from low branches to the high speed winds resulting from a 70 MPH speed into a headwind are going to damage it.

ms911 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Apart from thinking there shouldn't be such fragile components which might be subject to damage, I wonder why it has to be a rotating wind sensor.

Wouldn't a device much like an upside down pendulum work? When no wind blows the device stands upright, but as the wind velocity increases the pendulum leans and when it reaches some angle relative to its base it sends a signal. A simple open or close circuit. The sensor which just sticks up into the air can be built so it can literally be knocked flat but will return to its intended position as soon as the force is removed.

I see the little cups spinning in the breeze and all I think of is everything from low branches to the high speed winds resulting from a 70 MPH speed into a headwind are going to damage it.
    There has to be a better yet we buy $140 pieces of plastic.