Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I made AquaHot work by shaking wires that come out of Webasto...what now?

Default I made AquaHot work by shaking wires that come out of Webasto...what now?

The AquaHot hasn't worked for quite a while. Those "military" showers have gotten old. So I took the cover off and heard a buzzing noise. I disconnected the fuse and when I reconnected it, I noticed that noise was coming from inside the stainless steel "Webasto" box that's attached to the big motor. I tapped the box with the plastic end of a screwdriver. Nothing. Then I moved a big black wire, out of which go colored wires into the Webasto, and "Whoom!" the fire came on. For a split second. That scared me and I jumped back, letting go of the wire. Then the whole thing happened again when I lifted that black wire again. There was also a clicking noise with the whooming noise.

After standing back and wondering if I should call someone, I went inside, saw that the Aquahot light on the dash had gone out. (again) So I turned off both the Engine PreHeat and AquaHot toggles, then turned back on the AquaHot one and returned to the scene of the whooming. This time, when I jiggled the black wire, the fire stayed on.

Yay, it seems to be working OK now. And the light on the dash is still on after about 45 minutes.

My question is, should I still have someone who knows about Webasto/AquaHot come and fix the problem? Or is it OK/safe/advisable to just see how it goes?

Thanks very much for advise on this general question. I appreciate this forum so much.

Susan, six-month-old full-timer, visiting family in Portland

Susan,

Welcome to the forum. If I were you I would have an Aqua Hot tech take a look at the unit. You can call Aqua Hot at 800 685-4298 and ask where is the closest authorized service for your area.

You might also want to include a signature line in your posts; it should have your name, what model, year, and converter of your coach (look at other POGGERS signature lines for a good example). If you click on Forum Actions, Edit Profile, and then under My Settings click on Edit Signature. With this signature line checked each post that you make will contain the signature line. It saves you the trouble of having to type your name etc.

Good Luck and welcome to POG!
    Last edited by merle&louise; 05-04-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Susan,

It is obvious from your post something is loose in the wiring or connections. It might be a simple fix determined by looking beyond where you wiggled the wire, or it could be an indication of something loose or broken that is not accessible. Only you can determine that, and once that is determined you can decide if it is something you want to try to fix or if you need someone with skills in wiring, not necessarily Aqua-Hot or Webasto (the burner unit) expertise.

But one thing is for sure...you do need to get it fixed because some loose wiring can create other problems with some serious consequences.

If you can post pictures and show which wire(s) you moved to get it to work we can likely give you some advice. Notice I did not claim the advice would be good advice. Welcome aboard if we neglected to give you a proper POG welcome.

Thanks very much for the welcome and advice. I just tried to edit my signature from my Droid. Let's see if it worked. And I will take a picture of the wire when I get home. I'm at relatives' in Hillsboro and will return tonight. Thanks again¡! Much appreciated....

Anyone with a electrical or mechanical bent should be able to investigate that wire for you. It could be loose connection at a terminal or a wire which is burned because of it being loose. So, have someone investigate soon.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

OK. Thanks, everyone. I inherited a tester or two when I purchased this coach in September. I haven't yet learned to use it. But I have a kind neighbor who could help me find that short, I know.

OK, I just saved my signature and "Show your signature" is checked. fingers crossed...

I will take that picture tomorrow, Jon. Hasta manana...gracias.

Susan - allow me to offer another belated welcome to POG! You did good on implementing your signature line(s)! Now that you've "broken the ice" with your AquaHot issue, please continue to post early and often as POG could benefit from more participation from the fairer sex!

Hello, Michael! That is a warm welcome indeed. Means a lot.

Now to take that picture.....

Took pix, rushing to the gym with family...uploading after that...puff, puff