Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LifePo4 Batteries

Don't know what type Mastervolt batteries are, but didn't I read on POG that Liberty was using Lithium Ion Batteries?

I recently found out that Lithium Ion batteries output a constant voltage until they are depleted and then quickly drop off toward 0 and also that a full discharge does not hurt the battery.
    I think I remember correctly, but am not sure.

JIM

My 90 edition has the lead/acid , probably like Jon said, original type in the bus. With the Freedom Inverter on charge all the time and connected most of the time to shore power, they still test very good with the tester I use. We seldom boondock more than 1 or 2 days with driving inbetween and if the Inverter is showing in the Orange, which it does overnight, we run the Generator till we start driving or hook up. I side with Jon, what little maintenance is involved with them, water/secure/cleaning is not that much when we all do a certain amount of work on the bus as often as we do. I have had the bus for 4 years and they were 2 yrs old when I got it. Recharge brings the batteries up in acceptable time. Just my 3cents worth.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to stay with flooded batteries. They gas, cause corrosion, rust and need watering. The key is keeping the charge voltage under control, but even if that is done, your going to get the dreaded white fuzz and corrosion in the bay.

If cost is the factor alone, at least buy the cheapest AGM's you can find at Acme!

Tom,

I think you may be confused, or maybe I am. The batteries I asked about are the LifePo4 and are more expensive than AGM, not less. I'm still working on which way to go, LIPO or staying with AGM, but certainly not considering going backward to regular or flooded.

Yankee,

You started this thread opining that the LIPO batteries were more economical. That is what is leading the discussion towards lead acid which is likely to be the most economical choice. Maybe not the best choice, but most economical.

I just can't get your math to work out because it seems to be based on some factors that considering your type of use are so far from correct it brings your entire conclusion into doubt. I would suggest you accept the fact that the LIPO folks are trying to convince you of the merits of their product, and you should try to independently get the real truth regarding costs and cycle times for comparable batteries. Why don't you start by considering how much life you have gotten from your current batteires. I'll bet the number of cycles is a lot different than what LIPO suggests.

FWIW there is a reason why the vast majority of the Prevost owners own or replace their batteries with AGM. I believe most of them have done the same analysis you have done and they clearly came to a different conclusion than you. Since batteries represent a significant part of the flexibility of coach use if there was a viable alternative to AGM this group would have been all over it by now.

Truk-did not mean to say that, come the replacement time which is of course coming up due to time, that I would not consider AGM. Yep, probably will ,as anytime I can reduce (but not delete) maintenance, I should and will. Just my 4 cents worth (Inflation ya know)

OK, I was confused, Truk was responding to rahangman, not me.

Jon: the math isn't mine, it was a copy/paste from the thread I mentioned previously. I have some experience with LIPO batteries, and they are much better than all my others, but they are much smaller in scale, for my handheld electronics. I was just trying to get input on the large scale versions for marine/RV use, figured if it's good for the boats, it gotta be good for us.

Whereas currently we are always on the grid, if my wife doesn't make E-6 and is forced out of the Navy, we'll be boondocking almost exclusively, and that is what I'm looking at, and trying to maximize our quality of life while spending the least I can. It was my hope that LIPOs would help with that by being a better alternative and cost less in the long run. I am trying to get all the information I can so I can make an informed decision, and a large part is from the POG membership. So keep the opinions coming.

My opinion is you need to do your own math. I seriously doubt all the Prevost owners that don't have LIPO batteries are wasting money.

I wasn't picking on Roger, he knows that, it was just my opinion after dealing with badly corroded battery trays and rust from wet batteries in the past.

Truk can confirm that I have no issue with flooded lead acid batteries(See attached picture). I believe that bang for the buck that lead acid is the winner. BUT they must be well ventilated and cared for, if they are maintained and treated properly they work well for dollar spent. AGM batteries are much cleaner and virtually maintenance free, they are slightly more fragile than flooded. Both of these designs weigh and work almost identically. Lithium batteries function differently from lead acid and have numerous benefits. The biggest benefits being low weight to amp hour rating, depth of discharge and cycle life.

From what I have seen the "average" coach owner would not benefit from lithium batteries. Most of us shallow cycle our batteries and only use the batteries rated capacity on a limited basis. Shallow cycles definitely extends a batteries life, that is why a 500 cycle rated lead acid battery will last for over 5 years. If a lithium is rated at 2000 cycles than it would last 20 years in the same application. I think the real benefit of lithium in this case would be from a maintenance and environment point, if it lasts five times longer it is only on fifth the maintenance and one fifth the environmental
    impact.

If I were to go "boon docking" and had unlimited funds I would have lithium batteries. Unfortunately funds are limited and in my case I would build a better charging,monitoring system and spend more time on conservation and maintenance.