Thread: Transmission Fluids

Default Transmission Fluids

Poking around on the rv.net forums, found this information of interest. Fella should know his business when it comes to tranny fluids. Don't know if it is proper to cut and paste from their forum, but will do it anyway. Credit rv.net

I've just joined Good Sam Club. I was the former Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison Transmission. I held that position from 1990 until my retirement in 2009. Let me know if you have questions about TranSynd, the TES-295 specification or just anything to do with automatic transmission fluids. I'm here to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom Johnson
    Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
    Avon, IN 46123

With regard to what to put into an Allison 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000 Series, my recommendation will always be TranSynd or another TES-295 approved product (and not just because I approved all of these products). TranSynd (and the other TES-295 products) cannot lose viscosity because there's nothing to shear (no IV improvers). ALso, it's formulated with only PAO (polyalphaolefin) base oils so there's also very little oxidation over many many hours and miles of use. We tested TranSynd for thousands of hours in city buses with retarders and garbage trucks (refuse packers) and never saw any sign of oxidation or shear. TranSynd and the TES-295 specification (which I wrote) did wonders to fix all the problems we (Allison) used to have with C4 oils and DEXRON-IIIH transmission fluids. So, whether it's an RV with a 4000 Series or a pickup with a 1000 Series, you should be running TranSynd for the highest possible performance and durability. It really is worth the money.

About Seals Compatibility - TranSynd has never been associated with seal problems in any Allison lab tests or in any Allison field/fleet tests. So, I don't believe leaks are associated with TranSynd. ALso, when GM first came out with DEXRON-VI, Allison found it was incompatible with older Viton type seals. So, Allison does not recommend the use of GM DEXRON-VI ATF except in GM pickups with the Allison 1000 Series transmission. Allison seal materials were later updated to be compatible with DEXRON-VI. GM sold Allison and after that Allison no longer had a seat on the GM ATF Committee (a seat I used to hold). So, Allison ended its association with GM and removed DEXRON-VI from all recommendations.

One more thing. When changing from a DEXRON-IIIH product, always drain and fill twice to ensure maximum TranSynd content. Flushing machines are not typically recommended and usually give the same results as a double drain and fill (per a test we ran at Allison).

I just converted to Transynd in my 2003 Liberty (7x,xxx miles). I can not tell any performance difference, but I am running trans temps about 10 degrees cooler. That alone would seem to be worth the change.
    John & Janene Browder
    Knoxville, TN
    2008 Marathon H3-3S

Gordon,

That really confirms the talk the Allison guy gave us in OKC at POG 8. He really extolled the virtues of TranSynd and this guy backs it up with science. Now if Allison only made an RV crapper that was as worthy.

TranSynd is an excellent choice! It is the only synthetic we use. We just replaced a B500R in one of our commercial coach's and Allison would only warrenty if TranSynd was used. (although the failed transmissinon was using transynd).

I did the Transynd change over on our 2000 Country Coach Affinity which reduced the trans temp about 10 degrees. Did not notice any change in shifting and considered the lowering temp worth the money. Unless you have a part failure inside the trans the normal wear is increased because of heat.
    They are very proud of the product with the price per gallon.